RE: [Electronics_101] Storing EEPROM of a PIC onto a PC

  • Scott Thompson
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 5, 2003
      Which PIC and PIC programmer are you using.  I use the PICSTART PLUS programmer with 16F84A and 16F628 microcontrollers mostly.  There is a special memory area for storing EEPROM data before programming.  Most PIC MCUs are at 0x2100 according to the help file.  For PIC 18Fxxxx series, the data memory space is at 0xF00000.

      Just "fill" these memory locations with your data from your text file (or include them in your source and output *.hex file using an ORG statement and they will fill in automatically).  When you program the device, select the "Program EEPROM Memory" locations option and you should be home free.

      Good luck!
      Scotty

      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 6, 2003
        Hi,
        Thanks for the info, i didn't know that! I am using the PIC16F877 and the programmer is EPIC. The reason i want to be able to do this is that i am hoping to have say 100 modes, each with about 2+ parameters. I want the user to be able to back-up all this data. I am also going to be using a Serial EEPROM and so won't be able to program it with the PIC Programmer.

        Thanks for the info though!
        Paul