RE: [Electronics_101] Sig Gen,,voltage multiplier

  • Doug Bell
    Message 1 of 12 , Feb 28, 2010
      Interesting about the two types of pads. I don't think they will help in this case.

      Assuming your signal generator has a 50 Ohm output, and you've terminated the output with a 50 Ohm load for your voltage measurement, the 2.2 V represents 2.2 ^ 2 / 50 = 0.968 W. To get to 20 V, you would have to change the impedance to 20 ^ 2 / 0.968 = 4132 Ohms, which is pretty high. You might be able to do this by using a quarter wave matching section, about which there are several articles online, but I don't know if there is one that applies to microwave work.

      If you want 20 V into 50 Ohms, you need an 8 W, 8 GHz amplifier with a power gain of about 83.

      Doug Bell