SUNBEAM ELECTRIC BLANKET

  • dave
    Message 1 of 9 , Jan 2, 2010
      Anybody have any ideas on what would cause the controller to go into fault mode shortly after it is turned on. Supposedly the circuit in the blanket is the problem, but what component?
      dave
    • jong kung
      Message 2 of 9 , Jan 3, 2010
        dave,

        Anybody
        have any ideas on what would cause the controller to go
        > into fault mode
        shortly after it is turned on. Supposedly the circuit
        > in the blanket is
        the problem, but what component?

        These are really vague description of your problem.  Have you tried to open the controller to see if there's anything obviously wrong?  In any diagnostics the first part is a good ONCE OVER to find any obvious problem.  That also include sight, odor, sound, heat, etc..

        Do you see anything out of place?
        Does it smell funny (burning)?
        Does it click or hum or buzz (or any other sound coming from it)?
        Does it feel warm / hot to the touch?

        Any other observation?

        ====

        Do you have a multimeter / voltmeter that we can direct you to use for checking things out?  It would be nice if you check the OHM reading of the blanket to see if the heating wiring isn't broken.

        ====

        If I'm not mistaken, these things are VERY simple with bi-metal switch for thermostat and just straight mains power through the blanket.  Recently I've seen (in advertisement) a low voltage (20v) blanket, but I think these are the exception.  So whatever problem you have, it should be something that is burnt out, wires broken, etc.

        Jong

        <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <>

        Bonnie Hunt Show fan. The best show on TV (American TV) !! :-)

        http://www.bonniehunt.com/

        Save the Bonnie Hunt Show !!

        <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <>

        Message 3 of 9 , Jan 3, 2010
          The new ones have a thermistor wire all the way parallel to the
          heater. This is to avoid local hotspots that the thermostat wouldn't
          catch. Electric blankets were the major source of electrically caused
          hause fires some years ago, if I recall right. Definitely no bypassing
          any safety features here!

          There also seems to be some permanent (trip once and throw away)
          overheating protection, at least the manual says so, but I have no
          idea how it's implemented.

          ST

          On Sun, Jan 3, 2010 at 10:26 AM, jong kung <jongkung01@...> wrote:

          > If I'm not mistaken, these things are VERY simple with bi-metal switch for thermostat and just straight mains power through the blanket.  Recently I've seen (in advertisement) a low voltage (20v) blanket, but I think these are the exception.  So whatever problem you have, it should be something that is burnt out, wires broken, etc.
          >

          > Jong
        • Sheldon Dedek
          Message 4 of 9 , Jan 3, 2010
            My blanket goes into fault mode (Sunbeam as well, but is heated matress
            pad), blinky blinky light on controller. I discovered that the plug
            sometimes comes loose during the night. Just plugging back in doesn't
            fix it, you have to unplug the controller's AC cord from the wall as well.

            That being said, take a hard look at the contacts on both the blanket
            and controller side of the connector. All of the contacts are all equal
            distance inside each half of the connector.

            I don't know about a sensing element in the pad / blanket itself though.
            My pad has a 4 wire connector, and 2 controllers (queen size). I am
            75% certain that mine likely uses PWM to control the amount of heat
            being put into the blanket. Older blankets / pads used a bimetallic
            strip in the controller itself. I could hear mind click on and off
            during the night. Drove me nuts.

            Good luck with yours. Wrong time of season to lose the prewarming
            option on the bed!

            Sheldon
          • dave
            Message 5 of 9 , Jan 5, 2010
              Thanks to all who responded.
              Here is more information on the blanket.
              The circuit in the blanket consists of a heating element, that is like a lamp cord with 25 ohm conductors and 500 ohms between conductors, three surface mount resistors and a PNP transistor.

              ONE PNP PNP 22OOPF
              AC--<<---HEATING---EMITTER---COLLECTOR---22K-->>--IN CONTROLLER---AC
              INPUT ELEMENT ^ OHM 330K OHM INPUT
              NEUTRAL 1.5K OHM HIGH
              ^ PNP OTHER ^
              BASE---62K OHM---HEATING->>--FUSE--TRIAC-^
              ELEMENT IN CONTROLLER

              I found the problem to be intermittent metalization on one end of a resistor. I replaced the resistor.

              The blanket now works in this manner.
              When it is first turned on the power to the heating element is a half-wave, then after about 20 seconds it switches to full-wave, after that its full-wave on or off zero crossing switching, no PWM. When "on" the voltage across each heating element is approximately 6 volts full wave AC.
              Dave
            • joesmith@cvctx.com
              Message 6 of 9 , Jan 6, 2010
                Any idea where this thermisistor is located?

                Thanks

                Joe in Texas(West Point,Monitor Repair)

                Quoting Stefan Trethan :

              • joesmith@cvctx.com
                Message 7 of 9 , Jan 6, 2010
                  Thanks,printed and filed.

                  Joe Smith

                  West Point Monitor Repair

                  West Point,Texas

                  78963-5022

                  Quoting dave :

                  AC----IN CONTROLLER---AC

                  Message 8 of 9 , Jan 7, 2010
                    I think inside the blanket. The user manual and 4 plug connector made
                    me assume there is a NTC or PTC wire strung out alongside the heating
                    element.

                    This is just a theroy. I'm not gonna take it apart just yet, my sewing
                    isn't so good ;-)

                    ST

                    Message 9 of 9 , Jan 7, 2010
                      Sounds good to me,we have 2 king size(Guest apt upstairs),so they
                      aint cheap,That's for sure.

                      If I get there before you do then I will post it here.

                      Thanks Again,Stefan,Please pardon my curosity

                      ,,,errrrrr,where IS gmx@ located on the globe.

                      Quoting Stefan Trethan :