Re: [Electronics_101] Reading Schematics

  • Leon Heller
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 1, 2010
      ----- Original Message -----
      From: "riverrat373" <mdc002@...>
      To: <Electronics_101@yahoogroups.com>
      Sent: Friday, January 01, 2010 12:31 AM
      Subject: [Electronics_101] Reading Schematics

      > Maybe my subject header is a little misleading. I kinda know how to read
      > schematics! I know what components the symbols represent, where the
      > components are tied together etc. What I have a problem with is how to
      > translate the layout of the components and traces on a schematic to a
      > point-to-point wiring layout! I am mostly interested in building vacuum
      > tube stereo amps. I have built one tube amp and am well into another that
      > I purchased as kits. The components are assembled on a circuit board so
      > construction is easy.
      >
      > As I said, I would like to try my hand at some amps that are wired
      > point-to-point instead of using a circuit board. I remember back in the
      > 60's the electronic magazines would have a project featured that would not
      > only show the schematic, it would also have a pictorial drawing of the
      > components and wiring showing all the hook-ups. Can anyone suggest a book
      > that will help me visualize how I need to lay out my components and wire
      > them?

      It's a similar skill to designing a PCB, except that you don't have a
      computer to help you. You will need to do lots of sketches and trial layouts
      until you get it right. Placing the largest components and connectors first
      helps, as it does with PCB design.

      Leon
    • dave_mucha
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 1, 2010
        use any of the free schematic layout software packages.

        ultimatly, it will give you a layout that you can use to move wires.

        just move them as if they were actual wires.

        you can cut and put into PAINT and then change the wires to the colors you want.

        Dave