Re: [Electronics_101] Reading Schematics

  • jong kung
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 31, 2009
      riverrat373,

      > Maybe my subject header is a little misleading. I kinda know how to
      > read schematics! I know what components the symbols represent, where
      > the components are tied together etc. What I have a problem with is
      > how to translate the layout of the components and traces on a
      > schematic to a point-to-point wiring layout! I am mostly interested in
      > building vacuum tube stereo amps. I have built one tube amp and am
      > well into another that I purchased as kits. The components are
      > assembled on a circuit board so construction is easy.
      >
      > As I said, I would like to try my hand at some amps that are wired
      > point-to-point instead of using a circuit board.

      I don't understand the question.  You know how to read schematics.  You know where they are tied together.  Are you just puzzled by the exact POINT-2-POINT process ??  :-(

      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Point-to-point_construction

      I haven't seen one of those constructions in decades.  Do they even sell the parts (boards, etc.) any more?

      ====

      The more modern ways hobbyist construct circuits are using breadboarding.

      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Breadboard

      The drawback is the limited number of components that can be attached to each board and the limited power they can handle (probably not enough for tubes).
      =====

      Final question:  Does your next project HAVE TO BE a point to point construction?

    • Leon Heller
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 1, 2010
        > Maybe my subject header is a little misleading. I kinda know how to read
        > schematics! I know what components the symbols represent, where the
        > components are tied together etc. What I have a problem with is how to
        > translate the layout of the components and traces on a schematic to a
        > point-to-point wiring layout! I am mostly interested in building vacuum
        > tube stereo amps. I have built one tube amp and am well into another that
        > I purchased as kits. The components are assembled on a circuit board so
        > construction is easy.
        >
        > As I said, I would like to try my hand at some amps that are wired
        > point-to-point instead of using a circuit board. I remember back in the
        > 60's the electronic magazines would have a project featured that would not
        > only show the schematic, it would also have a pictorial drawing of the
        > components and wiring showing all the hook-ups. Can anyone suggest a book
        > that will help me visualize how I need to lay out my components and wire
        > them?

        It's a similar skill to designing a PCB, except that you don't have a
        computer to help you. You will need to do lots of sketches and trial layouts
        until you get it right. Placing the largest components and connectors first
        helps, as it does with PCB design.

        Leon
      • dave_mucha
        Message 3 of 4 , Jan 1, 2010
          use any of the free schematic layout software packages.

          ultimatly, it will give you a layout that you can use to move wires.

          just move them as if they were actual wires.

          you can cut and put into PAINT and then change the wires to the colors you want.

          Dave