Re: DSO Nano Oscilloscope

  • AlienRelics
    Message 1 of 24 , Nov 3, 2009
      Agreed on all counts. People have been brainwashed by soundcard manufacturers into thinking sampling at 2x the highest frequency is enough.

      And it is so darn cute I want one!

      Steve Greenfield

      --- In Electronics_101@yahoogroups.com, Scott Burris <electroscott@...> wrote:

      > I guess I'm having a hard time seeing how this scope is useful for anything but
      > the most basic uses. It samples at 1Mbit/sec, which really means it can be used
      > for waveforms up to about 100Khz. Yes, I know Nyquist says up to 1/2 the
      > sample rate, or 500Khz, but unless the waveform is stable and repetitive, or
      > you already know what it should look like, going to up the Nyquist limit
      > just doesn't cut it.
      >
      > If you are looking at stuff other than sine waves, anything else is going to have
      > higher order harmonics that should cause you to derate the bandwidth even more.
      >
      > Maybe it will work for audio applications, and perhaps looking at serial I/O
      > or I2C or 1-wire busses. Too slow for SPI.
      >
      > For a little more money (low $100s), you can get a used 100Mhz Tektronix
      > scope off of Ebay. Obviously you don't get the same extreme portability :-)
      >
      > Am I missing something here?
      >
      > That being said, it's such a cute little device I'm still tempted to order one!
      >
      > Scott
      >
      > http://www.seeedstudio.com/

    • Paul Read
      Message 2 of 24 , Nov 4, 2009
        Hi Peeps,

        Did anybody already mention the GBDSO, it is a dual channel cartridge that fits into an Unmodified GameBoy. Still only about 1MHz sampling so the BW comments still apply but it includes PC download of waveforms and an FFT spectrum analyser. I think the PCBs are still available. I built one and it's great fun.

        Cheers

        Paul

      • normnet2003
        Message 3 of 24 , Nov 4, 2009

          What are the limiting factors?

          IS it the ARM Cortex-M3 instead of an FPGA or is the standard GLCD
          instead of an OLED GLCD?

          Norm
        • Scott Burris
          Message 4 of 24 , Nov 4, 2009
            Well, the design uses an analog to digital converter internal to the
            STM32F103VB processor, and that's rated to do a conversion in
            1us, so no more than 1M samples per second. That's a hard limit
            right there.

            I'm guessing this design uses a DMA controller to put samples into
            the processor's internal SRAM. Typically I'd expect higher performance
            designs to use an FPGA, external SRAM, and a faster ADC, but that's
            a lot more chips, and a different skill set than programming a processor.

            Scott

            Message 5 of 24 , Nov 4, 2009
              And you'd write "RIGOL" on it and sell it for good money to Agilent ;-)
              Or sell it anyway for better money than that...

              I wouldn't want to be caught dead with the thing, looks like one of
              those "pod" things......
              It's probably meant to appeal to the sort of person who can program an
              arduino whatsit but can't figure out how to use a transistor to drive
              a LED.

              That sort of money gets you a real scope, used.

              (And if you think I'm just a grumpy person who doesn't like anything
              modern, you are wrong and I'm just thinking carefully, here's proof:
              <http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/8339647.stm>)

              ST

              On Wed, Nov 4, 2009 at 6:57 PM, Scott Burris <electroscott@...> wrote:
              > Typically I'd expect higher performance
              > designs to use an FPGA, external SRAM, and a faster ADC, but that's
              > a lot more chips, and a different skill set than programming a processor.
              >
              > Scott

            • jong kung
              Message 6 of 24 , Nov 4, 2009
                ST,

                > (And if you think I'm just a grumpy person who doesn't like anything

                > modern, you are wrong and I'm just thinking carefully, here's proof:

                > <http://news. bbc.co.uk/ 2/hi/health/ 8339647.stm>)

                Get out !!!  I try real hard NOT to get grumpy as I get older.  You don't have to be grumpy to be careful.  Those old (unhappy) grumpy old men (people) weren't born that way.  They became that way - one grumpy day at a time.

                ===

                The Cock crows, the Sun rises.  So did the grumpy old cock make the sun rise?  I think there might be some error in their research.

                :-)

              • hrh1818
                Message 7 of 24 , Nov 4, 2009
                  --- In Electronics_101@yahoogroups.com, Stefan Trethan <stefan_trethan@...> wrote:

                  > And you'd write "RIGOL" on it and sell it for good money to Agilent ;-)
                  > Or sell it anyway for better money than that...
                  >
                  > I wouldn't want to be caught dead with the thing, looks like one of
                  > those "pod" things......
                  > It's probably meant to appeal to the sort of person who can program an
                  > arduino whatsit but can't figure out how to use a transistor to drive
                  > a LED.
                  >
                  > That sort of money gets you a real scope, used.
                  >
                  > (And if you think I'm just a grumpy person who doesn't like anything
                  > modern, you are wrong and I'm just thinking carefully, here's proof:
                  > <http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/8339647.stm>)

                  Great picture stefan, I didn't expect you to be so distinguished looking.

                  Howard

                  Message 8 of 24 , Nov 4, 2009
                    There you go, you just _had_ to make me laugh!
                    What were we talking about again? It seems I have forgotten already.....

                    ST

                    Message 9 of 24 , Nov 4, 2009
                      <http://dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.30573>

                      Look what I just spotted in the "new arrivals" section at DX!
                      Talk about the devil......

                      I don't want to believe Agilent really sells some Rigol scopes, surely
                      you can't get DX quality from Agilent....
                      Maybe it's all just lies....

                      ST
                    • Scott Burris
                      Message 10 of 24 , Nov 5, 2009
                        And Rigol is a step up from what I was thinking. 10 ADCs
                        overclocked from 40Mhz to 100Mhz, plus an AD Blackfin
                        processor to do the FFTs in their low end units :-)

                        My DS1052E is a huge step up from my previous DSO, a
                        Velleman HPS5. The specs on the HPS5 are a little hard to
                        understand, but near as I can figure out, it samples at only 500Khz, or
                        half as fast the seeedstudio unit. Not sure how they
                        claim it's a 5Mhz scope when the analog bandwidth is only
                        750Khz. Marketing people must have a unique view of the world....

                        Scott

                        > And you'd write "RIGOL" on it and sell it for good money to Agilent ;-)
                        > Or sell it anyway for better money than that...
                        >
                        > I wouldn't want to be caught dead with the thing, looks like one of
                        > those "pod" things......
                        > It's probably meant to appeal to the sort of person who can program an
                        > arduino whatsit but can't figure out how to use a transistor to drive
                        > a LED.
                        >
                        > That sort of money gets you a real scope, used.
                        >
                        > (And if you think I'm just a grumpy person who doesn't like anything
                        > modern, you are wrong and I'm just thinking carefully, here's proof:
                        > )
                        >
                        > ST
                        >
                        > On Wed, Nov 4, 2009 at 6:57 PM, Scott Burris wrote:
                        > > Typically I'd expect higher performance
                        > > designs to use an FPGA, external SRAM, and a faster ADC, but that's
                        > > a lot more chips, and a different skill set than programming a processor.
                        > >
                        > > Scott

                      • Scott Burris
                        Message 11 of 24 , Nov 22, 2009
                          Following up my own email, how about this scope:

                          http://jyetech.com/en/default.html

                          5Mbit/sec samples with 1M analog bandwidth

                          Sparkfun has them in kit form for $46.

                          Not as pretty as the Nano scope, but the specs look better.

                          Scott

                          > I guess I'm having a hard time seeing how this scope is useful for anything but
                          > the most basic uses. It samples at 1Mbit/sec, which really means it can be used
                          > for waveforms up to about 100Khz. Yes, I know Nyquist says up to 1/2 the
                          > sample rate, or 500Khz, but unless the waveform is stable and repetitive, or
                          > you already know what it should look like, going to up the Nyquist limit
                          > just doesn't cut it.
                          >
                          > If you are looking at stuff other than sine waves, anything else is going to
                          > have
                          > higher order harmonics that should cause you to derate the bandwidth even more.
                          >
                          > Maybe it will work for audio applications, and perhaps looking at serial I/O
                          > or I2C or 1-wire busses. Too slow for SPI.
                          >
                          > For a little more money (low $100s), you can get a used 100Mhz Tektronix
                          > scope off of Ebay. Obviously you don't get the same extreme portability :-)
                          >
                          > Am I missing something here?
                          >
                          > That being said, it's such a cute little device I'm still tempted to order one!
                          >
                          > Scott

                        • AlienRelics
                          Message 12 of 24 , Nov 23, 2009
                            Seeed Studio is asking $33 for that kit.
                            <http://www.seeedstudio.com/depot/digital-storage-oscilloscope-diy-kit-with-panels-p-515.html>

                            I don't have any idea what shipping would be from China. If "Air Mail" is via the postal service, it shouldn't be too bad, if it means UPS then you'll get charged customs plus.

                            Sparkfun $46:
                            <http://www.sparkfun.com/commerce/product_info.php?products_id=9484>

                            Of course, it still needs quite a bit of modding to be more than a curiosity, IMHO. Max 50V input, best sensitivity 100mV/division.

                            But it is darn cool and a great start to begin. The main chip is already soldered in, so the biggest potential source of frustration is taken care of.