More transformers...

  • Zach Archer
    Message 1 of 1 , May 19 1:13 PM
      I generated low-level AC voltage using a sound program on my computer
      -- I looped a 60 hz sine wave, and ran it through my mixer for
      amplification, and then into the transformer. On this side, the
      voltmeter read 2 volts rms AC. The other side of the transformer read
      1/3 of a volt, which would indicate a 1:6 ratio stepping down. BUT...

      I tried flipping the transformer around, which ought to have changed
      its ratio to 6:1, right? And it gave me the same reading, 2 volts in,
      1/3 volt out. Hmmm.

      The other model of transformer (the one with 11 pins) gave me a
      surprise -- the incoming side read 4 volts rms AC, and I couldn't
      find any current or voltage whatsoever on the other side. Confusing!
      Time to search the web, I guess, and see if I can determine more info
      about these components based on their ID numbers...

      -- Z