Re: Mouser .vs. DigiKey

  • lcdpublishing
    Message 1 of 16 , Aug 4, 2009
      I prefer Digikey primarily because I am familiar with and like thier search tools. When price shopping, i always go to Jameco first but know that they have a very limitted inventory of products.

      Digikey is closer so that reduces the time in shipping when compared to Mouser or Jameco.

      As for customer service, I think I only had one issue with Digikey, they sent the wrong part. I called and they sent the correct components out to me right away.

      Chris

      --- In Electronics_101@yahoogroups.com, "Chuck Hackett" <egroupscdh@...> wrote:

      > I have used DigiKey in the past but for my current project I did some
      > comparing of prices between DigiKey and Mouser.
      >
      > Fist thing is that I prefer Mouser's parametric search, in part, because it
      > allows me to sort any column including the price column (as far as I can
      > tell DigiKey does not allow me to sort by price). I realize price isn't an
      > overriding factor but it's important if other parameters are similar.
      >
      > On many items they were close in price with Mouser usually slightly lower,
      > but on some items there was a significant difference. Examples (each are
      > qty 1 prices):
      >
      > 16-pin DIP socket (gold, same manufacturer, Tyco I think), Mouser $0.78,
      > DigiKey $1.20
      >
      > ULN2003 (darlington array), Mouser $0.64, DigiKey $0.55
      >
      > Obviously, some things are cheaper at one or the other. So, in the long
      > run, for `hobbyist' activities/quantities, do you prefer Mouser or DigiKey?
      >
      > Cheers,
      >
      > Chuck Hackett
      > "Good judgment comes from experience, experience comes from bad judgment"
      > 7.5" gauge Union Pacific Northern (4-8-4) 844
      > http://www.whitetrout.net/Chuck

    • KB9BVN
      Message 2 of 16 , Aug 4, 2009
        I buy 90% of my parts from Dan's Small Parts and Diz's
        http://www.kitsandparts.com .

        If they don't have what I need, then I go to Mouser first, Jameco, and
        lastly Digikey.

        wrote:

        > I have used DigiKey in the past but for my current project I did some
        > comparing of prices between DigiKey and Mouser.
        >
        > Fist thing is that I prefer Mouser's parametric search, in part, because
        > it
        > allows me to sort any column including the price column (as far as I can
        > tell DigiKey does not allow me to sort by price). I realize price isn't
        > an
        > overriding factor but it's important if other parameters are similar.
        >
        > On many items they were close in price with Mouser usually slightly lower,
        > but on some items there was a significant difference. Examples (each are
        > qty 1 prices):
        >
        > 16-pin DIP socket (gold, same manufacturer, Tyco I think), Mouser $0.78,
        > DigiKey $1.20
        >
        > ULN2003 (darlington array), Mouser $0.64, DigiKey $0.55
        >
        > Obviously, some things are cheaper at one or the other. So, in the long
        > run, for `hobbyist' activities/quantities, do you prefer Mouser or
        > DigiKey?
        >
        > Cheers,
        >
        > Chuck Hackett
        > "Good judgment comes from experience, experience comes from bad judgment"
        > 7.5" gauge Union Pacific Northern (4-8-4) 844
        > http://www.whitetrout.net/Chuck

      • Dan
        Message 3 of 16 , Aug 4, 2009
          Every supplier has its plusses and minuses.

          Digi-Key, I have no idea why people use them so much. Their prices are really very high. However, 1) they have probably the best selection around, and 2) they have a USPS mail option, so if you need a small quantity of something cheaply and soon, it'll probably be cheaper to get it from Digi-Key with $3 shipping than Mouser for $8 shipping. Digi-Key definitely has something against allowing you to sort by prices. I guess that goes along with their high-prices philosophy. Their project manager function isn't very good either. And on top of the high prices, they charge sales tax even if you don't live in Minnesota.

          Mouser is what I use for most of my ordering. They have a good selection, usually low prices, and their website is convenient: their project manager is extremely useful in keeping lists of parts for future orders, and their parametric search works pretty well (as long as they've entered the parameters for everything--not always true). The ability to sort by price is especially useful. I wish there was a way to sort by price/100, however, since I frequently order larger quantities.

          Future Electronics is good for something things as well. Their website isn't that great, and their selection isn't that great, but they have some excellent prices on some parts.

          Another site I found recently and highly recommend is Quest Components. Their website isn't that great either (you have to know what you're looking for by part number, no browsing), and their selection limited, but their prices on many things are just fantastic, frequently cheaper for 10 or 100 than at Mouser for 10,000. Shipping to me is also very fast as they're in CA and I'm in AZ.

          If you're only buying singular quantities of things for a personal project, I'd probably stick with Mouser because of their generally lower prices, and excellent Project Manager tool and search & sort capabilities, but keep Digi-Key in mind in case you realize you forgot to order component X and don't want to pay Mouser's high minimum shipping cost (as they use Fedex and UPS exclusively) for just one thing.

          Dan

          Message 4 of 16 , Aug 4, 2009
            --- In Electronics_101@yahoogroups.com, "Dan" <daniel@...> wrote:

            > Every supplier has its plusses and minuses.
            >
            > If you're only buying singular quantities of things for a personal project, I'd probably stick with Mouser because of their generally lower prices, and excellent Project Manager tool and search & sort capabilities, but keep Digi-Key in mind in case you realize you forgot to order component X and don't want to pay Mouser's high minimum shipping cost (as they use Fedex and UPS exclusively) for just one thing.
            >
            > Dan

            Then there are people like with a very short attention span. It just takes too long to get parts from Mouser. That's the bottom line for me; I want my parts before I forget why I ordered them.

            I don't care about qty 1 prices. How much can it matter? But waiting a few extra days is everything.

            Priority Mail is cheaper and far faster than UPS or FedEx ground service. Sure, if you want to throw a lot of money at shipping, you can have the stuff the next day but I'm not that well off.

            Richard
          • Chuck Hackett
            Message 5 of 16 , Aug 4, 2009
              I ended up ordering from Mouser. My order ended up being about $75. I had
              two issues:

              1) I placed the order last night at about 8PM (US,EST). I received an email
              this AM saying that the order had shipped but the UPS tracking number they
              gave me is still in the "Billing Information Received" state which means
              that UPS is scheduled to pick it up but that it's not in transit yet.

              2) When I clicked on "estimate shipping" I compared prices and delivery
              times and decided that I wanted to pay a little more for UPS 3-day rather
              than "standard ground" but later in the checkout process I was never offered
              the opportunity (or the link was well hidden) and I ended up with standard
              UPS Ground. BTW: I prefer UPS over USPS because I get a tracking number
              that follows the package rather than the USPS tracking number that says (in
              my experience) nothing until it's delivered - and by then I know where the
              package is!

              Message 6 of 16 , Aug 4, 2009
                --- In Electronics_101@yahoogroups.com, "Chuck Hackett" <egroupscdh@...> wrote:
                BTW: I prefer UPS over USPS because I get a tracking number
                > that follows the package rather than the USPS tracking number that says (in
                > my experience) nothing until it's delivered - and by then I know where the
                > package is!
                >
                > Cheers,
                >
                > Chuck Hackett

                USPS is slowly improving their tracking. You can now track it through major centers. It is not on a par with UPS or FedEx but it is coming along.

                Richard
              • Chuck Merja
                Message 7 of 16 , Aug 4, 2009
                  Why is it that we humans often wait and wait to order something and then pay
                  extra for quicker delivery and then spent otherwise productive time watching
                  the package make it's way across country (or world)? Not pointing any
                  fingers - I am SO guilty of this, and just curious if I'm more than two
                  sigmas off the norm or if others are similarly afflicted. In fact, I needed
                  some parts a while back, started an order on DigiKey, and I have added to it
                  to get over the $25, but I bet I'm approaching the 30 day "use it or lose
                  it" on the order :o((.

                  BTW, I REALLY like the fact that I can build that order online and finally
                  press "checkout" and get my stuff coming! Chuck

                  --- In Electronics_ <mailto:Electronics_101%40yahoogroups.com>
                  101@yahoogroups.com, "Chuck Hackett" <egroupscdh@...> wrote:
                  BTW: I prefer UPS over USPS because I get a tracking number
                  > that follows the package rather than the USPS tracking number that says
                  (in
                  > my experience) nothing until it's delivered - and by then I know where the
                  > package is!
                  >
                  > Cheers,
                  >
                  > Chuck Hackett

                  USPS is slowly improving their tracking. You can now track it through major
                  centers. It is not on a par with UPS or FedEx but it is coming along.

                  Richard
                  __

                  Message 8 of 16 , Aug 4, 2009
                    Sometimes we don't know what we need, and sometimes we don't know if we need it.
                    The material I have bought on suspicion that I may need it and never
                    used far exceeds the amount paid for shipping.

                    That said, I don't pay for faster shipping with components, since my
                    mail order dirstibutors usually ship next day anyway.
                    For PCBs, you also pay for time and the premium is far stiffer than
                    for express shipping, so I always try to get PCBs finished well in
                    advance.

                    At work we don't pay any shipping with RS components, which is really
                    neat I can tell you. I only feel slightly guilty when ordering a
                    single 2c component ;-)
                    (The reason I only feel slightly guilty is because they themselves
                    often ship a single order in five different envelopes or boxes with
                    three different shipping services).

                    That said, even with the free shipping, I still buy a lot from farnell
                    because the prices and inventory is sometimes better, and the search
                    is also better.

                    I provide "constructive customer feedback" on the search regularly,
                    especially if they change anything, although I'm sure by now they have
                    more colorful words for my comments than that.
                    Those people just don't seem to realise that their search and website
                    is almost all they have to get goods out the door. They make
                    willy-nilly changes breaking half the system in the process without
                    any consideration....

                    ST

                    On Wed, Aug 5, 2009 at 5:02 AM, Chuck Merja<chuckm@...> wrote:
                    > Why is it that we humans often wait and wait to order something and then pay
                    > extra for quicker delivery and then spent otherwise productive time watching
                    > the package make it's way across country (or world)?  Not pointing any
                    > fingers - I am SO guilty of this, and just curious if I'm more than two
                    > sigmas off the norm or if others are similarly afflicted.  In fact, I needed
                    > some parts a while back, started an order on DigiKey, and I have added to it
                    > to get over the $25, but I bet I'm approaching the 30 day "use it or lose
                    > it" on the order :o((.
                    >
                    > BTW, I REALLY like the fact that I can build that order online and finally
                    > press "checkout" and get my stuff coming!   Chuck
                    >
                    > --- In Electronics_ <mailto:Electronics_101%40yahoogroups.com>
                    > 101@yahoogroups.com, "Chuck Hackett" <egroupscdh@...> wrote:
                    > BTW: I prefer UPS over USPS because I get a tracking number
                    >> that follows the package rather than the USPS tracking number that says
                    > (in
                    >> my experience) nothing until it's delivered - and by then I know where the
                    >> package is!
                    >>
                    >> Cheers,
                    >>
                    >> Chuck Hackett
                    >
                    > USPS is slowly improving their tracking. You can now track it through major
                    > centers. It is not on a par with UPS or FedEx but it is coming along.
                    >
                    > Richard
                    > __

                  • Chuck Hackett
                    Message 9 of 16 , Aug 6, 2009
                      > From: Chuck Hackett
                      >
                      > I ended up ordering from Mouser. My order ended up being about $75. I
                      > had two issues:
                      > I placed the order last night at about 8PM (US,EST). I received an
                      > email this AM saying that the order had shipped but the UPS tracking
                      > number they gave me is still in the "Billing Information Received"
                      > state which means that UPS is scheduled to pick it up but that it's
                      > not in transit yet.

                      I thought I'd post an update - When I couldn't see the tracking info I
                      called Mouser Customer Service and spoke to someone named Betty. She was
                      very helpful, checked and the order had indeed gone out. She said that she
                      would contact UPS.

                      When I checked later the tracking information was working and it showed that
                      it had departed Jacksonville, FL and it arrived on-time today and everything
                      was correct.

                      On my not seeing an accelerated "3-day UPS ship option" (rather than UPS
                      Ground) during checkout - I guess I wasn't presented the option because it
                      didn't make sense - I live in Tampa and (unknown to me) these parts
                      apparently came out of Jacksonville, FL which made 'normal' UPS Ground 3-day

                      So, they did well on my first order from them.

                      Just thought I'd 'close the loop' ...