Re: Terminal emulation program with support for COM port numbers greater than 9

  • ve7dave
    Message 1 of 10 , Jul 1, 2009
      I just checked Tera Term 4.62 (http://ttssh2.sourceforge.jp/) and worked with a computer that had a com12.

      David

      Message 2 of 10 , Jul 1, 2009
        --- In Electronics_101@yahoogroups.com, "ve7dave" <david105@...> wrote:

        > I just checked Tera Term 4.62 (http://ttssh2.sourceforge.jp/) and worked with a computer that had a com12.
        >
        > David

        To the extent that Hyperterminal works, it works with higher COM ports. I am currently using ports up around 12 and I don't see why it wouldn't work beyond that but I haven't tried it.

        Another possibility: recover COM ports. If you have installed COM ports for pieces of gear you don't currently use, the ports may still be allocated. You can use Device Manager to reassign port numbers.

        Richard
      • hrh1818
        Message 3 of 10 , Jul 1, 2009
          --- In Electronics_101@yahoogroups.com, "rtstofer" <rstofer@...> wrote:

          > --- In Electronics_101@yahoogroups.com, "ve7dave" <david105@> wrote:
          > >
          > > I just checked Tera Term 4.62 (http://ttssh2.sourceforge.jp/) and worked with a computer that had a com12.
          > >
          > > David
          > >

          > To the extent that Hyperterminal works, it works with higher COM ports. I am currently using ports up around 12 and I don't see why it wouldn't work beyond that but I haven't tried it.
          >
          > Another possibility: recover COM ports. If you have installed COM ports for pieces of gear you don't currently use, the ports may still be allocated. You can use Device Manager to reassign port numbers.
          >
          > Richard

          I found a message on the internet that said ignore the warning about possibly creating a conflict and some other program not working when you reassign a COM port. It convinced me to go ahead and try it. I tried it and so far nothing bad has happened.

          I think out of the 3 terminal programs suggested by Ross, Leon and Stefan Realterm is better suited for debugging RS232 signals. Mostly because of the number of different ways the RS232 signal can be displayed. See:
          http://realterm.sourceforge.net/

          Here is what the Realterm Web Page says.
          Realterm is a terminal program specially designed for capturing, controlling and debugging binary and other difficult data streams. It is far better for debugging comms than Hyperterminal. It has no support for dialing modems, BBS etc - that is what hyperterminal does.

          Howard
        • ve7dave
          Message 4 of 10 , Jul 1, 2009
            Another good one is ZOC. It's nag-wear until you pay but fully functional. When it first came out in the OS/2 days it was one of the very few programs that could have com1, com2, com3,... open concurrently without bogging the machine (which is what happened when you tried to use multiple Procomm or Telix sessions under Windows.)
            ZOC has a very good VT100 emulation and scripting language.

            I guess it really comes down to what one needs: if you need a serial analyzer type program, Realterm is very good. If you need good VT100 emulation then ZOC and Tera Term are good choices.