Re: [Electronics_101] how abut zero volt battery? - Zero Ohm resistor

  • jong kung
    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 2, 2009
      ST,

      > They are used as "spacers" to reduce the number of batteries in series

      > while still allowing the battery compartment mechanics to work.

      > Not very widespread, i've only seen it in flashlights.

      FUNNY !!!   I thought to my self, that would be a wire. But I couldn't think of practical use for wire in place of battery.

      Electronics never seize to amaze (amuse) me.  :-)

      Jong

      They are used as "spacers" to reduce the number of batteries in series

      while still allowing the battery compartment mechanics to work.

      Not very widespread, i've only seen it in flashlights.

      ST

      On Thu, Apr 2, 2009 at 5:15 PM, jong kung <jongkung01@yahoo. com> wrote:

      > hey guys,

      > the next thing you are going to tell me is about Zero Volt batteries.  :-)

      > Jong

    • Kit Warwick
      Message 2 of 6 , Apr 2, 2009
        Used to be, in some 'portable' radio gear, a battery holder with spaces for 10 cells in a 12V system. Fine if you use NiCads. But for use with Carbon / Zinc cells, they supplied two 'dummy' cells, to reduce the nimber down to 8.
      • Howard Hansen
        Message 3 of 6 , Apr 2, 2009
          Have you forgotten about the zero volt sources people frequently used to
          measure current in SPICE?

          Howard

          jong kung wrote:

          > hey guys,
          >
          > the next thing you are going to tell me is about Zero Volt batteries. :-)
          >
          > Jong
          >
          > --- On Thu, 4/2/09, Stefan Trethan <stefan_trethan@...
          > <mailto:stefan_trethan%40gmx.at>> wrote:
          >
          > From: Stefan Trethan <stefan_trethan@...
          > <mailto:stefan_trethan%40gmx.at>>
          > Subject: Re: [Electronics_101] Zero Ohm resistor
          > To: Electronics_101@yahoogroups.com
          > <mailto:Electronics_101%40yahoogroups.com>
          > Date: Thursday, April 2, 2009, 3:24 AM
          >
          > It's there to create a bridge over other traces underneath.
          >
          > Sometimes it is also use to configure options (as a solder bridge), or
          >
          > to allow for placing a resistor if need be (or a short if not need
          >
          > be).
          >
          > You can always substitute with a wire.
          >
          > Question: What is the highest and lowest value a 1% zero ohm resistor
          >
          > can have? ;-)
          >
          > ST
          >
          > On Thu, Apr 2, 2009 at 8:47 AM, Steven Trehan <steventrehan@
          > yahoo.com> wrote:
          >
          > > What is the function of zero ohm resistor?
          >
          > > How is a short different from a zero Ohm resistor?
          >
          > > $T

        • johnx66uk2003
          Message 4 of 6 , Apr 10, 2009
            They are also very handy if you run out of near zero uH inductors. Just wire one of these resistors in instead an off you go!

            --- In Electronics_101@yahoogroups.com, Stefan Trethan <stefan_trethan@...> wrote:

            > Actually.....

            True, one of the guys here on this list did that a while back. good idea!