Re: [Electronics_101] Do Transistors give you Cancer?

    Message 1 of 81 , Feb 1, 2009
      <http://www.edn.com/blog/980000298/post/1560039956.html>
      I especially like how Jim holds the solder between his lips ;-)

      I think your friend mistook your hobby with semiconductor
      manufacturing. Dangerous subsances are used during the manufacturing
      process, and the workers must take great care. But once the parts are
      finished there is no danger, because everything is enclosed and even
      if you break a part open you are looking at trace amounts only.

      As others have said lead poisoning is usually identified as a hazard,
      and i would add to avoid breathing any kind of smoke if something goes
      wrong. No smoke is good for you, just like the tobacco kind ;-)

      ST

      On Sun, Feb 1, 2009 at 7:50 AM, John Popelish <jpopelish@...> wrote:

      > If you eat large numbers of them, who knows?
      > Handling leaded solder is about the most dangerous part of
      > handling transistors. And if you wash your hands before
      > eating, that is a tiny risk.
      >
      > --
      > Regards,
      >
      > John Popelish

    • Bryan Pope
      Message 81 of 81 , Feb 7, 2009
        Laura wrote:
        > Yes indeed, you CAN dim LEDs with potentiometers!
        >
        > I scrounged up a few old guitar knobs. 250K ohms. Worked great!
        > With a simple mono-color non-blinking LED, it dims the color.
        > I wired it up to my blinker circuit and it slowed the blink rate. And
        > I only fried one LED while doing this experiment. A nite well spent!

        You still need a resistor in the circuit because when you turn the pot
        to "0" there is not longer any resistance to limit the current.

        Cheers,

        Bryan