Protecting I/Os - my own questions

  • c45a6 <clone45@hotmail.com>
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 4, 2003
      Hallo!

      I have a slightly different issue than was just covered concerning
      limiting voltage to a microcontroller. I'm hooking an OOPic
      microcontroller to an analog modular synthesizer (voltage based music
      gear). The OOPic's inputs are rated at 12v dc. A synthesizer can
      potentially output 15 volts dc.

      I need to limit the voltage going into the OOPic to 12 volts so I
      don't hurt it. I'll certainly limit the current with a resistor.

      There's one other issue. I'm using 8 pins of the microcontroller.
      Those pins can be programmed as either input (a2d) or output
      (0/+5v). The limiting circuit should allow the pins to be programmed
      for output, too. In other words, when used for input, they should
      limit the voltage to 12v. When used for output, they should output
      the full 5V.

      Any ideas? I'm trying to keep it simple, and I like to do as much as
      possible using ICs.

      Thanks a ton! I just signed up to this group and I already love it!
      - Bret
    • manifold <manifold_1@yahoo.com>
      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 5, 2003
        The diode circuit I posted earlier will work fine in your
        application. Did you receive that post?

        --- In Electronics_101@yahoogroups.com, "c45a6 <clone45@h...>"

      • c45a6 <clone45@hotmail.com>
        Message 3 of 3 , Feb 6, 2003
          Sure did! Thanks a ton! I'll try it out.

          --- In Electronics_101@yahoogroups.com, "manifold <manifold_1@y...>"