RE: [Electronics_101] Re: OT: Bios 48-bit LBA support versus Windows large hard drive support

  • Dan Nicoson
    Message 1 of 11 , Sep 3, 2008
      OK, let's close this thread. I started it, I'll close it.

      Steve, I appreciate your tolerance, I started the thread cause I trust this
      bunch to send me the right direction. Several list members have already hit
      me off list to get me going elsewhere.

      Thread closed.

      Thanks everyone,

      Dan Nicoson

      Message 2 of 11 , Sep 3, 2008
        On Tuesday 02 September 2008 21:52, Dan Nicoson wrote:
        > Since we got some of you computer types out of the woodwork, here's another
        > question:
        >
        > Can I safely use a 250 Gig hard drive as a Slave drive on a computer that
        > only has bios 48-bit LBA support (128 gigs)?

        The biggest single issue there is whether the BIOS is used once the machine
        boots. I have no idea if it is or not for any m$ platform, but for me,
        with only linux running here, it's not a problem as the BIOS is only used to
        initially boot the machine and not thereafter.

        So if you find yourself with a couple of 250G drives you can't use, feel free
        to send 'em my way. :-)

        ablest -- form of life in this section of space, a critter that can
        be killed but can't be tamed. --Robert A. Heinlein, "The Puppet Masters"
        -
        M Dakin