OBDII Reader

  • Shawn Upton
    Message 1 of 8 , Jun 3, 2008
      Anyone try to roll their own? I'd like to get a Scangauge, but at
      $170, it's bit steep for just wanting to see instantaneous and average
      mpg's. I did a bit of looking, but so far all I'm finding is that the
      standard is not only different for different vehicles (there are three
      flavors, not a huge issue), but it is proprietary. Or at least you
      have to pay to look at it.

      [I do calculate mpg's on each tank by hand, but more gadgets is, well, more gadgets.]

      Shawn Upton, KB1CKT
    • cresswellavenue@talktalk.net
      Message 2 of 8 , Jun 3, 2008
        What they usually do is fill the tank up to the brim.
        Reset the odometer.

        Then fill up again when it is nearly empty and work out how many miles to
        how many gallons.

        Much cheaper than having to buy a gadget that is probably inaccurate anyway.

        Message 3 of 8 , Jun 3, 2008
          What's the fun in that? :) I've read good things about them, they can be calibrated, and they can can display instantly the effects of running the a/c, driving too fast, etc. It can take over a week to see a change in mpg's the conventional way, at least for me.

          Shawn Upton, KB1CKT

          What they usually do is fill the tank up to the brim.
          Reset the odometer.

          Then fill up again when it is nearly empty and work out how many miles to
          how many gallons.

          Much cheaper than having to buy a gadget that is probably inaccurate anyway.
          ............ ..

        • cresswellavenue@talktalk.net
          Message 4 of 8 , Jun 3, 2008
            Its pretty easy to know what your MPG is instantaneously.

            The harder you press the throttle the more fuel it uses !

            Message 5 of 8 , Jun 3, 2008
              Check out my website. I've written a somewhat brief overview of the J1850 VPWM protocol and have an interface LIBRARY for a 16F877A (sorry written in JAL v0.4.59). Notice it is only a library and not a complete scantool. I did it that way so that people could design their own hardware and customize the firmware for their own needs. My project is located at: http://www.geocities.com/sstandfast

              Also check out the Yahoo! group "opendiag". You have to join the group to get to the files section, but once you do, they have complete SAE specs available for download. If for some reason you can't join, let me know and I'll email you the spec of your choice.

              HTH,
              Shawn

              Message 6 of 8 , Jun 3, 2008
                I have an old and very inefficient van, and I was thinking of buying a
                flowmeter at Norton's and putting it in the fuel system. Then tie it
                in with a GPS unit to a microcontroller, and get highly accurate
                (regardless of tire size or pressure; the speedometer is off by about
                10%) and instantaneous gas mileage. The microcontroller and GPS could
                also be used for APRS if I ever feel like doing that.

                It remains to be seen if the van actually lasts long enough for me to
                get around to a project like this.

                Ben

                On Tue, Jun 3, 2008 at 5:34 PM, Shawn Upton <kb1ckt@...> wrote:
                > What's the fun in that? :) I've read good things about them, they can be calibrated, and they can can display instantly the effects of running the a/c, driving too fast, etc. It can take over a week to see a change in mpg's the conventional way, at least for me.
                >
                > Shawn Upton, KB1CKT
              • John Popelish
                Message 7 of 8 , Jun 3, 2008
                  Shawn Upton wrote:
                  > Anyone try to roll their own? I'd like to get a Scangauge, but at
                  > $170, it's bit steep for just wanting to see instantaneous and average
                  > mpg's. I did a bit of looking, but so far all I'm finding is that the
                  > standard is not only different for different vehicles (there are three
                  > flavors, not a huge issue), but it is proprietary. Or at least you
                  > have to pay to look at it.
                  >
                  > [I do calculate mpg's on each tank by hand, but more gadgets is, well, more gadgets.]

                  I got one of these interfaces for about half of $170, and it
                  seems to work just fine with the free software download.
                  http://obddiagnostics.com/index.html

                  --
                  Regards,

                  John Popelish
                • Bruno
                  Message 8 of 8 , Jun 4, 2008
                    Hi Shawn.
                    You could look for something cheaper on: http://www.scantool.net/
                    They sell the chip only for you make your obdII reader and the obdII
                    reader too.

                    Bruno