Re: PIC programmer, USB in Vista?

  • Steve
    Message 1 of 8 , Jun 1, 2008
      --- In Electronics_101@yahoogroups.com, "Stefan Trethan"
      <stefan_trethan@...> wrote:

      > I filled up all the PCI slots with serial port cards in my lab PC at
      > work, but the resulting 8 ports still weren't enough so i bought 4
      > USB/RS232 converters.
      > They install themselves as regular serial ports (after installing the
      > driver). I found no software that has any trouble with them, they act
      > exactly like a normal serial port.
      > I do not use PICs, but have no doubt the software would work as long
      > as it is windows stuff. I'm not sure about software that runs in a DOS
      > window.
      >
      > At under $5 you can't really make a mistake just trying it:
      > <http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.5859>

      I've been considering that very one. I like DealExtreme! Short on
      information, but really good prices.

      Steve Greenfield
    • Steve
      Message 2 of 8 , Jun 1, 2008
        Well, I went to buy an older Belkin USB to serial via Craigslist, on
        the way stopped by a thrift store and found.... a USB to serial
        converter! A no-name in clear blue body and clear insulation on the
        cable. Very compact.

        Glad I went ahead and bought the Belkin, though. Because my Warp 13a
        won't connect successfully through the blue no-name, MPLab says
        unsupported programmer. Through the old clunky big Belkin, it works
        without issue.

        I think I'll order the one from DealExtreme because it is so compact,
        and hope it works for this.

        Steve Greenfield