Re: Confused LCD screen owner

  • dNixon9 <mk5852@hotmail.com>
    Message 1 of 6 , Dec 7, 2002
      Ashley,

      I happened upon that site a few months ago and realized that the
      hardware could be made even easier - you can use the parallel port
      itself as the power source.

      Also, although it was suggested in a reply, you don't have to set the
      contrast to get it to work and be viewable; just tie the contrast pin
      (pin 3) to ground.

      Here's the pinout I used to test the LCDs I had ordered:

      Parallel Port LCD pin (standard layout)
      1 25
      2 2
      3 24
      4 3
      5 4
      6 5
      11 6
      12 7
      13 8
      14 9

      Of course, if you use this you'd have to use the code I wrote, or
      write your own. I can email or post the VB code if you want it. It
      requires the DLPORTIO dll installed on your machine if you're running
      Windows NT.

      I like my interface better, as it doesn't require you to open up your
      PC case for the [potentially dangerous] power supply.

      -Mike

      --- In Electronics_101@yahoogroups.com, "Mr. Snuh"
      <ashleynugent@o...> wrote:
      > As an extremely amateur beginner, I attempted to build an LCD
      display for my
      > computer as shown on the website
      > http://www.overclockers.com.au/techstuff/a_diy_lcd/index.shtml, it
      looks
      > simple enough, but low and behold, I have managed to hit a brick
      wall. Now
      > the website says I need a HD44780 compatible, I figured the Dick
      Smith
      > variety (cat. Z 4172) was the next best thing. This LCD has a
      backlight,
      > which is not the problem, the problem is, after soldering, and
      plugging into
      > the computer, the unit gives no signs of life, almost as if its
      getting no
      > power. A related question: Molex power connectors in a computer
      have 4
      > wires, 2 black I think for earth, a yellow and a red. either the
      yellow is 5
      > volts and the red is 12 volts, or vice versa, im not sure which? im
      pretty
      > sure the LCD requires 5 volts after looking at the sheet provided.
      Anyway,