Crystals Was: crystal oscillators

  • csakima
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 24, 2002
      Well, at a job I once had, my job was to "characterize" crystals. Meaning I
      had to sweep frequencies into a crystal and see how it "actually" reacts.
      That was sure a learning experience!!!!

      What I learned through all this was that, operationally speaking, a crystal
      is basically (electrically) a tuned circuit. A parallel resonant ... and a
      series resonant circuit hooked together. Such that, at some frequencies,
      the crystal appears "inductive" ... at some frequencies "capacitive" ... at
      some frequencies "at series resonance" (zero ohms, short) and at some
      frequencies, "parallel resonant" (infinite ohms, open).

      Curtis

      Get your free newsletter at
      http://www.ezinfocenter.com/3122155/NL