RE: [Electronics_101] gps recorder

  • Vijay Raju
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 22, 2002

      Hi,

      I have been looking for something similar and basically did not find anything that suited my needs. Finally I have settled on the Jupiter -11 from NAVMAN (www.navman.com). This is only a GPS sensor and the logger part I built around the sensor with a microcontroller and some memory. It was a fairly simple exercise.

      The Jupiter – 11 supports both a propriety serial protocol based on the conexant binary data format (NAVMAN just took over conexant’s GPS unit) and also the NMEA – 0183. The protocol can be easily toggled with a pin on the external connector. I prefer the binary format because of the reduction in data size as compared to the ASCII in NMEA.

      As far as the price goes… the landed cost in India for a Jupiter – 11 is Rs 6000 (USD 125) and along with that a Taiwanese active antenna cost me Rs 2000 (USD 40). The prices are probably so high in India because of the shipping costs and the 60% customs duty. It should be substantially cheaper in the US. If you find the price for this module please let me know, I am just curious to know the actual price without all these extra frills. .

      If you play with something long enough, you will break it.

      -Vijay