Line level signals and S/N ratio Was: Voltage attenuation

  • csakima
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 18, 2002
      What I would do is go inside of the logger and find the point in the
      circuitry AFTER the initial thermocouple input instrumentation amplifier.
      The voltages there should be of a more manageable level (0-5 0-10 0-15
      volts etc.).

      The reason I say that ... is because at low microvolt levels, noise becomes
      an issue. The S/N ratio would be a heck of a lot better if you get your (so
      called) line-level signal ... and tie it directly to a line level point in
      your logger. Instead of reducing it down "microphone" level (so to speak)
      ... just to have the instrumentation amp inside of the logger simply
      amplifying back up to line-level again.

      Well, that's what I would do.

      Curtis

      Get your free newsletter at