Dimming using digitals

  • csakima
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 17, 2002
      Hey, Matt, just a thought ...

      How important is linearity to you?? What I mean is .... when you send all
      zeros to the lights .. of course you get no lights. When you send all ones
      ... of course you get full brightness. But what about in between?? If you
      were to linearly sweep the digital information going to the dimmers .. are
      you expecting the lights to LINEARLY sweep up in brightness .... or would a
      little "nothing ... nothing .... little bit light .... EXPONENTIAL rise in
      brightness" be tolerable??

      Second, how would differences between CHANNELS sit with you?? Let's say
      the computer supposely gives every light a "35%" brillance command. Would
      it be ok with you if "couple lights are at 40% ..... one single channel
      showing 30% ..... three at the required 35% .... etc.) How much difference
      is tolerable?? Or are you wishing 100% "tracking" between each channel (or
      at least mostly full tracking).

      The reason I ask is because with analog dimmers there's an issue of
      "calibration". That is, making sure each dimmer channel knowing that a
      particular signal input means a particular expected light intensity output.
      That they're all "on the same page" ... so to speak.

      Curtis

      Get your free newsletter at
      http://www.ezinfocenter.com/3122155/NL