Re: Speaking of Microwaves and Magnetrons

  • Steve
    Message 1 of 47 , Feb 1, 2008
      No, the atoms are still atoms in a plasma. Only the outer electrons
      are loose, and the nucleus is still in one piece.

      It takes the heat and pressure of a star to push neutrons and protons
      together.

      Steve Greenfield

      --- In Electronics_101@yahoogroups.com, DougHale <electronics@...> wrote:

      > > A plasma is just a hot, electrically charged gas,
      > >
      > plasma is actually the fourth state of matter: the first three being
      > solid, liquid, gas - each one being hotter than the previous one.
      > If the heat is high enough, you get plasma.
      > When matter is in the gas state, the atoms are still atoms - in the
      > plasma state, they are not atoms any more - just a mass of electrons,
      > protons, and neutrons.
      >

      > Doug

    • bufordtboedecker
      Message 47 of 47 , Feb 2, 2008
        --- In Electronics_101@yahoogroups.com, randy@... wrote:

        "... Possibly/probably Tom's original "failure mode" was a wayward
        Spaghetti-O or other splatter, that eventually turned to carbon, and
        went "plasmoid" on him..."

        Could be, Randy. Sometimes, the inside of our microwave does get a
        stray bit of chili, burrito, hot pocket, soup or other semi-edible
        stuff spattered on it and I would not be surprised to find that this
        is, indeed, the source of the "eruption". After excision of the
        darkened area, things have gone well and I don't experience any more
        plasmoid displays in the box.

        Just another comment, though, to the current direction (amok) of the
        thread: IF the electrons, protons and neutrons are indeed separated
        in these displays, high energy sources such as cyclotrons and the
        like wouldn't be necessary to "split the atom". It seems to me that
        the explanation somebody posited earlier that a plasma consists of
        atoms of something or other that have had some electrons stripped off
        and are, thusly, ionized is the logical definition.

        IF the nucleii (I never did type that word before. It might be
        misspelled) sre "disassembled", there would be a problem of re-
        assembly of the atoms after the plasma-inducing stimulus is removed.
        As with dice or cards, atoms seem to lack the capacity to "remember"
        how they used to be made up (except they can remember how many
        electrons are involved based on the charge on the nucleus) IF they
        are completely disassembled. entropy being what is is, those data
        are, in my estimation, lost forever unless somebody wrote it all down
        in a notebook. Of course, I do not claim to be a Nuclear Physicist
        but I believe this follows from common sense. Interesting thought,
        though, if we consider the possibility of microwaving some Plutonium,
        thus splitting the nucleus into flinders and generating a tiny little
        nuke in the Radar Range...Might be even more spectacular than a
        plasmoid display.

        When I posted this, I found that there had been intervening posts
        that explain more about plasma than I know...I, therefore, erased my
        post and add this paragraph to acknowledge that there are those who
        know a lot more than I do about plasma and plasma types.

        TOm