Re: [Electronics_101] Re: please help me out

  • Leon
    Message 1 of 18 , Jan 31, 2008
      ----- Original Message -----
      From: "Cpt Ron Wright/FL Guard Assoc" <mccrpt@...>
      To: <Electronics_101@yahoogroups.com>
      Sent: Thursday, January 31, 2008 7:25 PM
      Subject: [Electronics_101] Re: please help me out

      > Not sure what language you are speaking :)
      >
      > What is o/p and i/p???

      Those are standard abbreviations: output and input!

      Leon
      --
      Leon Heller
      Amateur radio call-sign G1HSM
      Message 2 of 18 , Feb 1, 2008
        Leon wrote:
        > > What is o/p and i/p???
        >
        > Those are standard abbreviations: output and input!

        Yes, I figured it out myself, but it took a while...

        I'll never understand why someone would want to abbreviate "input" in
        plain text. It's only five letters and so much easier to type and read
        than "i/p" (which takes four key presses!).

        AS
      • parth gohel
        Message 3 of 18 , Feb 1, 2008
          o/p means output and i/p means input

          Cpt Ron Wright/FL Guard Assoc <mccrpt@...> wrote: Not sure what language you are speaking :)

          What is o/p and i/p???

          73, ron, n9ee/r

          --- In Electronics_101@yahoogroups.com, "parth_jg" <parth_jg@...> wrote:

          > i am in d first year to electronics engg studying about rectifiers.
          > i want 2 know that do we get unidirectional o/p if i use 500mv i/p and
          > use silicon diode having knee voltage more than i/p.
          > plzzz send me ans caz its in my project

        • parth gohel
          Message 4 of 18 , Feb 1, 2008
            thanks for your advice and i will make sure that this type of mistake is not repeated by me again.
            now will you send me the answer please.

            Steve <alienrelics@...> wrote:
            You will get more responses if you write in full words, not in
            "texting language".

            What have you done to find out the answer yourself? I know the answer,
            but I won't just do your homework for you. I'll help, if I feel you
            are making some effort on your own.

            Please review tips 3, 4, 5, 6, and 7 from the "TipsForNewbies.txt"
            that you received when you joined. They are not just good ideas, it
            will help you to get responses.

            Steve Greenfield

            Message 5 of 18 , Feb 1, 2008
              >> Those are standard abbreviations: output and input!
              >
              > Yes, I figured it out myself, but it took a while...
              >
              > I'll never understand why someone would want to abbreviate "input" in
              > plain text. It's only five letters and so much easier to type and read
              > than "i/p" (which takes four key presses!).

              I use them all the time, and see them all over the place.

              Leon
              --
              Leon Heller
              Amateur radio call-sign G1HSM
              Yaesu FT-817ND transceiver
              Suzuki SV1000S motorcycle
              leon355@...
              http://www.geocities.com/leon_heller
            • rizwan iqbal
              Message 6 of 18 , Feb 1, 2008
                O/P is output
                I/P is input

                Message 7 of 18 , Feb 1, 2008
                  In a message dated 2/1/2008 1:55:49 A.M. Central Standard Time,
                  leon355@... writes:

                  What is o/p and i/p??? Those are standard abbreviations: output and
                  input!<<

                  Perhaps in UK; but I have never seen that abbreviation in U.S.!

                  48)

                  Message 8 of 18 , Feb 1, 2008
                    --- In Electronics_101@yahoogroups.com, parth gohel <parth_jg@...>
                    wrote:

                    > thanks for your advice and i will make sure that this type of mistake
                    is not repeated by me again.
                    > now will you send me the answer please.

                    John Popelish did answer your question in message 42904
                    Or get a datasheet for a diode (1N914 or 1N4001) and look at the curves.
                    Try Page 2 of the 1N914 datasheet
                    http://www.fairchildsemi.com/ds/1N/1N914.pdf Figures 3, 4 & 5 are a
                    good start.

                    Richard
                  • Leon Heller
                    Message 9 of 18 , Feb 1, 2008
                      --- In Electronics_101@yahoogroups.com, JanRwl@... wrote:

                      > In a message dated 2/1/2008 1:55:49 A.M. Central Standard Time,
                      > leon355@... writes:
                      >
                      > What is o/p and i/p??? Those are standard abbreviations: output
                      and
                      > input!<<
                      >
                      > Perhaps in UK; but I have never seen that abbreviation in U.S.!

                      They are probably more common in the US than in the UK. For instance:

                      http://focus.ti.com/docs/prod/folders/print/ads803.html

                      You'll find lots more US examples with Google.

                      Leon
                      Message 10 of 18 , Feb 1, 2008
                        On Feb 1, 2008 11:59 PM, Leon Heller <leon355@...> wrote:

                        > They are probably more common in the US than in the UK. For instance:
                        >
                        > http://focus.ti.com/docs/prod/folders/print/ads803.html
                        >
                        > You'll find lots more US examples with Google.
                        >
                        > Leon

                        I hadn't seen them before either.
                        Probably useful in tables and other places with little space, like
                        w/o, but i don't really see the advantage in normal text.

                        ST
                      • Steve
                        Message 11 of 18 , Feb 1, 2008
                          It will help you get responses if you rewrite the question without
                          "texting language".

                          Since this thread has gotten buried in a mass of questions and
                          explanations of some of your abbreviations, I would suggest starting a
                          new thread. With a more specific subject line.

                          After all, everyone here posts wanting people to "please help me out".
                          ;')

                          Steve Greenfield

                        • randy@verizon.net
                          Message 12 of 18 , Feb 1, 2008
                            mebbe i shud send u a shovel 2 dig ditches with cuz u wud get an F frm
                            any tchr or prof i no of and u cud MMF with a shovl.

                            Message 13 of 18 , Feb 1, 2008
                              On Friday 01 February 2008 18:40, Stefan Trethan wrote:
                              > On Feb 1, 2008 11:59 PM, Leon Heller <leon355@...> wrote:
                              > > They are probably more common in the US than in the UK. For instance:
                              > >
                              > > http://focus.ti.com/docs/prod/folders/print/ads803.html
                              > >
                              > > You'll find lots more US examples with Google.
                              > >
                              > > Leon
                              >
                              > I hadn't seen them before either.
                              > Probably useful in tables and other places with little space, like
                              > w/o, but i don't really see the advantage in normal text.

                              I personally find "texting-talk" annoying, and will not bother to respond to
                              anyone who can't be bothered to type messages using normal words. Their
                              choice. If it's that time-consuming for them, then surely they can
                              understand why I won't waste mine. If it's that difficult, then they're too
                              far from where I'm at for us to communicate anyway!

                              -
                              M Dakin
                            • Leon
                              Message 14 of 18 , Feb 2, 2008
                                >> They are probably more common in the US than in the UK. For instance:
                                >>
                                >> http://focus.ti.com/docs/prod/folders/print/ads803.html
                                >>
                                >> You'll find lots more US examples with Google.
                                >>
                                >> Leon
                                >>

                                > I hadn't seen them before either.
                                > Probably useful in tables and other places with little space, like
                                > w/o, but i don't really see the advantage in normal text.

                                I/O is even more common.

                                Leon