Re: Testing methods for electronics components on circuit board ???

  • vic88my
    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 1, 2002
      Dear experts,

      Ok. Thanks.

      1. I know what multimeter is, but I dun have now .I am going to buy
      one, any recommendations ?

      2. so, how are we going to test for example a Capacitor is functioning
      or not ? my mouse capacitor is 10 uF 16v + 105 C , what does it
      mean ? How to test ?

      3. May I know usually which component of a circuit board fails the
      most? I heard is capacitor , is it true ?

      thanks experts,

      have a nice day ,

      sincerely,
      vic

      --- In Electronics_101@y..., Catherine Snetsinger <jaelle@c...> wrote:
      > This is a really big question....: )
      > Do you have a multimeter?
      >
      > Victor wrote:
      >
      > > Dear Electronics_101 members:
      > >
      > > Hai, nice to meet you all.
      > >
      > > I am Victor Lee from Asia.
      > >
      > > I am very interested in electronics, but I am a beginner.
      > >
      > > I have a question, hope you can help.
      > >
      > > I find that there are a lot of small components on a circuit
      board,

      > > such as Capacitors, Resistor, ICs, Processors, and so on.
      > >
      > > May I know how to test the above components whether they are
      working
      > > or not ?
      > >
      > > For example, when my PC mouse fails I will test to know which
      > > component is faulty
      > >
      > > and replace the faulty component .
      > >
      > > It will be such an excitment to see that it works again .
      > >

      > > Thanks experts,
      > >
      > > sincerely,
      > >
      > > Vic
      > >

      > > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

      <http://rd.yahoo.com/M=212804.2460941.3878106.2273195/D=egroupweb/S=17
      06058037:HM/A=810327/R=0/*http://geocities.yahoo.com/ps/info?.refer=bl
      recs>

      <http://rd.yahoo.com/M=212804.2460941.3878106.2273195/D=egroupweb/S=17
      06058037:HM/A=810327/R=1/*http://geocities.yahoo.com/ps/info?.refer=bl
      recs>

      Service
      > > <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/>.
    • manifold
      Message 2 of 5 , Nov 1, 2002
        1) Any digital multimeter should work fine for what you are doing.
        A 3 1/2 digit meter with a an accuracy of 1% will go a long ways.

        2) Normally, components are not tested individually while they are
        still in the circuit. Measurements are taken at several points around
        the circuit and then those measurements are compared with what is
        expected. Expected measurement can be calculated based on the
        schematic diagram of the circuit. Some simple circuits can be tested
        without a schematic diagram if the test technician has has previous
        experience with them. You can perform some tests on all circuits
        which will tell you somthing about them. You can check the power
        supplies to see if you have power, you can check to see if any of the
        resistors are open or if any of the capacitors are shorted. Without a
        schematic you are fairly limited.

        3) How old is you mouse? Check to make sure that the LED and opto
        sensors are lined up and working properly. Computer mice are subject
        to lots of static electricity that can damage the silicon circuits.
        Capacitors go bad in power supplies where they are subjected to high
        heat; they dry out. The capacitor you described is rated for 105C,
        much better than the really cheap 80C variety. The capacitors in you
        mouse has probably not gone bad. Check for broken wires, broken
        solder joints, cracked traces.

        --- In Electronics_101@y..., "vic88my" <vic88my@y...> wrote:

        > Dear experts,
        >
        > Ok. Thanks.
        >
        > 1. I know what multimeter is, but I dun have now .I am going to buy
        > one, any recommendations ?
        >
        > 2. so, how are we going to test for example a Capacitor is
        functioning
        > or not ? my mouse capacitor is 10 uF 16v + 105 C , what does it
        > mean ? How to test ?
        >
        > 3. May I know usually which component of a circuit board fails
        the
        > most? I heard is capacitor , is it true ?
        >
        > thanks experts,
        >
        > have a nice day ,
        >
        > sincerely,
        > vic

      • a_guy_in_minn
        Message 3 of 5 , Nov 2, 2002
          Just a suggestion, if yer gonna fork out the dough fer a brand new,
          shiny, new smelling Digital Multimeter... You could prolly save
          yerself 'bout 75 bucks by just buying a new mouse.

          Don't get me wrong, or let me discourage ya from playing with mice,
          butcha might make better use of yer hard earned cash this way.

          On the other hand, you could prolly 'soup up' that there mouse by
          addin a few more capacitors in series in place of that leaky one ya
          got...

          ---