DPDT to switch Series/Parallel batteries

  • Rob
    Message 1 of 6 , Nov 28, 2007
      Been trying to wrap my head around this for a bit but wind up going in
      circles.
      Does anyone know a way to use a single DPDT switch to switch 2
      batteries between series and parallel?
      Thanks
      Message 2 of 6 , Nov 28, 2007
        --- In Electronics_101@yahoogroups.com, "Rob" <robd@...> wrote:

        > Been trying to wrap my head around this for a bit but wind up going in
        > circles.
        > Does anyone know a way to use a single DPDT switch to switch 2
        > batteries between series and parallel?
        > Thanks

        Sure bit ASCII art doesn't work so...

        Place two batteries side by side on the table with the + end away from
        you.

        Mentally, connect the + of the left battery to your + output, it is
        never switched.

        Connect the - of the right battery to your - output, it is never switched.

        For the series connection, one pole of the switch will connect the +
        of the right battery to the - of the left battery. It is important
        that the + connection of the right battery go to the center of the switch.

        For the parallel connection, the other side of the switch centered on
        the + of the right battery now connects to the + of the left battery.
        The second pole of the switch connects the - of the left battery to
        the - of the right battery.

        You can draw the thing using colored pens.

        Richard

        For the parallel connection, one pole
      • JanRwl@AOL.COM
        Message 3 of 6 , Nov 28, 2007
          In a message dated 11/28/2007 1:49:43 P.M. Central Standard Time,
          robd@... writes:

          Does anyone know a way to use a single DPDT switch to switch 2
          batteries between series and parallel?

          Easy, but HOW can I explain with just WORDS??? Lemme try: Two cells, "A"
          and "B". + of both at top. 6 terminals of a DPDT switch between the cells.
          Center two are the "wipers". Label these 6 pins thus: 1 and 2 at the top; 3
          and 4 (wipers) in the middle; and 5 and 6 are the bottom two terminals of
          the switch. Call the + of cell A the "+out" and the - of cell B the "-out".
          Now, connect the - of cell A to terminals 2 AND 5, and the + of cell B to
          terminal 4. Tie terminal 6 to "+out". Tie terminal 3 to "-out" Terminal 1 is
          not used! (This is what breadboards are for!)

          I THINK this is right. Draw/trace it yourself! Jan Rowland

        • Rob
          Message 4 of 6 , Nov 28, 2007
            Awesome guys. Thanks very much. So simple now that I look at it.
            -Rob-

            --- In Electronics_101@yahoogroups.com, "Rob" <robd@...> wrote:

            > Been trying to wrap my head around this for a bit but wind up going
            in
            > circles.
            > Does anyone know a way to use a single DPDT switch to switch 2
            > batteries between series and parallel?
            > Thanks

          • Steve
            Message 5 of 6 , Nov 30, 2007
              Those switches had better be "break before make" or you'll burn the
              switches out quickly and drain your batteries.

              Steve Greenfield

              --- In Electronics_101@yahoogroups.com, "Rob" <robd@...> wrote:

              > Awesome guys. Thanks very much. So simple now that I look at it.
              > -Rob-
              >
              > --- In Electronics_101@yahoogroups.com, "Rob" <robd@> wrote:
              > >
              > > Been trying to wrap my head around this for a bit but wind up going
              > in
              > > circles.
              > > Does anyone know a way to use a single DPDT switch to switch 2
              > > batteries between series and parallel?
              > > Thanks

            • Matt
              Message 6 of 6 , Dec 1, 2007
                I've done something like this before with computer fans. I ran 2 fans
                off 12 volts, then had a DPDT switch to flip them between series and
                parallel, giving me either 12 or 6 volts per fan. works very nicely.
                but yes, as someone else said, "break before make" or it will dead
                short the batteries every time you flip the switch. if you still need
                help with this, I can draw you a quick schematic. just shoot me an email.