Cheap and easy battery backup method ?

  • Mike
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 4, 2007
      I have a couple of items that currently run on a 9 V battery that I'd
      like to turn into a battery backed-up device. Do you think this idea
      will work ... I have an old 9V battery charger. If I install a
      battery in the charger with the charger plugged in and then attached
      my device ( a water sensor ) to the battery leads in the charger. This
      would then get power through the charger during normal times, and if
      the power fails it would be powered from the battery. Not sure if I
      should install some diodes to the sensor just in case? Think the
      ideal will work ?
    • curt_rxr
      Message 2 of 2 , Oct 5, 2007
        --- In Electronics_101@yahoogroups.com, "Mike" <mikejdl120@...> wrote:

        > I have a couple of items that currently run on a 9 V battery that I'd
        > like to turn into a battery backed-up device. Do you think this idea
        > will work ... I have an old 9V battery charger. If I install a
        > battery in the charger with the charger plugged in and then attached
        > my device ( a water sensor ) to the battery leads in the charger. This
        > would then get power through the charger during normal times, and if
        > the power fails it would be powered from the battery. Not sure if I
        > should install some diodes to the sensor just in case? Think the
        > ideal will work ?

        Hi Mike,

        I did something similar on a larger scale when I switched over to
        digital phone service. I wanted to keep the phone working during a
        power outage, but power drain on a UPS from two modems ( cable and
        VoIP ) and a phone limited the use time to a couple hours. I ended up
        using a deep discharge battery and then used an automotive MiniITX
        power converter to supply the 12 volts needed by the modems and phone.
        I used an intelligent float charger to keep the battery in good shape
        and protect it when running on a genrator. The battery protects the
        electronic equipment by acting as a REALLY big capacitor. It works so
        well that I have since added a small Intel D201GLY computer with a non
        back lit LCD so I can snag e mail without powering up a larger system.

        You would have to investigate dc-dc converters that supply your
        voltage and find one that operates at a high efficiency ( since many
        are only 60 or 70% efficient , but it's worth the effort!

        Curt

        PS One not so obvious benefit is No More Fan Noise!!! I find myself
        using the MiniITX system more and more when the power of a 1.8 gHz
        Celeron level system will handle the job at hand, just for the