Re: [Electronics_101] Employment?

    Message 1 of 5 , Sep 30, 2007
      On Sunday 30 September 2007 17:22, eep_05 wrote:
      > Dose anyone know what sort of jobs are available in electronics w/o an
      > EE degree?

      I used to get one of those "free if you qualify" (or can BS the "application")
      publications called EE Times, sort of like a newspaper for folks in that
      line...

      They had a great deal of stuff in there about which companies were doing what,
      a good deal called "Industrial Development and Site Selection" that would
      come out every once in a while, and it was free.

      I believe that they're online someplace, though I don't have a URL handy, I
      think I've seen the occational link. It might be worth your while to see if
      you can find them and at least browse some of the online stuff...

      -
      M Dakin
    • Dan
      Message 2 of 5 , Oct 1, 2007
        From a brief glance at your resume, it seems like you would be highly
        qualified for a position as an electronics technician. Lots of
        companies need people like that, for doing things like board rework,
        building prototypes, etc.

        You don't need a EE degree to do electronics. To design electronics,
        maybe, but technicians get to do all the hands-on work anyway. By
        proving yourself through experience, you'll be able to work your way
        up too. You can probably get into programming stuff without too much
        difficulty too.

        Don't let the lack of a degree stop you; after so many years,
        real-world experience becomes more important.

        --- In Electronics_101@yahoogroups.com, "eep_05" <eep_05@...> wrote:

        > Dose anyone know what sort of jobs are available in electronics w/o an
        > EE degree?
        >
        > I have a BA in History and a variety of experience in programing and
        > electronics, but nothing rising to the level of an EE.
      • Bill Black
        Message 3 of 5 , Oct 2, 2007
          I am in a Engineering Technology sirricula here in the Melbourne,
          Florida area working on getting an AA in Electronics Technology and a
          BS in Mechanical Engineering Technology from UCF.
          My electronics instructors get calls weekly from companies looking to
          fill jobs with technicians that "will show up and know something when
          they get here".
          A degree is not necessary to get a job, and all the local companies
          I know of are very supportive of further education for their
          employees. 3 of my classmates are working in the field, and get time
          off to go to classes.
          It may be hard to get a job in electronics without a degree in some
          places, but the Space Coast of Florida isnt one of them.
          A good attitude, a good work ethic and some ability will get you a
          long way.
          Good luck to you.;