Charging Alkaline Batteries

  • CTC
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 1, 2002
      You shouldn't have too much trouble using whatever DC source you like. It
      would be better to charge in parallel though. Again, take a battery that
      you know is pretty dead and select a resistor that limits the current to
      somewhere under 10 mA. Well under if you want to be able to let the thing
      sit in the charger until you're ready to use it. Motorola used a series LED
      in their pager chargers to limit the current to around 3 mA and as the
      battery charged the light dimmed a little. Granted this was for a nicad
      battery, but I should work with alkalines as well, and they should charge up
      in eight to twelve hours just fine. Whether or not you use an LED, once
      you've selected the right resistor, you can use the same value of resistor
      to charge however many batteries you want to hook up in parallel to the same
      DC source. Yeah there's a practical limit to how many batteries you can
      charge from the same source, since the raw DC from a "wall wart" will begin
      to drop in value as the current rises but it won't be a factor if you're
      only charging a half dozen or so at once. I think in your place I'd select
      a resistor that pulled 10 mA from your source, hooked up alone with only the
      meter inline. and just use that value of resistor for each of your
      batteries. Why? So you'll know that a completely shorted battery will
      still draw no more than 10 mA max, and you won't have to worry about
      overheating or overcharging. With half a dozen batteries connected, you'll
      know that the charge current is somewhere under 10 mA per battery, and the
      exact value isn't important. They'll be charged up after ten or twelve
      hours and that's all you really need to care about.

      Don Crowder