One more time, rechargable Alkalines

  • tobias_keizer
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 30, 2002
      Hello All,

      Sorry to bother you all one more time about those rechargable
      Alkalines... One more quick question; since I'm not too good at all
      this.

      I was told to charge the alkalines at about 10mA to avoid burning
      them out. Futhermore I got that when charging in series the charge-
      current does not change, only in parallel connections.

      Now, my question... Can I use my 6v 300mA adapter to charge these. I
      figured I could use Ohm's Law and drop the voltage using a resistor.
      This sounds too simple, so it prolly won't work. This would also have
      me drop voltage instead of current, really...

      So, what should I do (hopefully using resistors) to charge my 4-cell
      alkaline battery pack (± 6v) with my 6v 300mA adapter.

      Thanks for all your help.

      Tobias
    • manifold
      Message 2 of 2 , Sep 30, 2002
        Take a look in the archives of the electronics design group on
        google. The few posts I read say that you should expect some very
        messy results if you try a constant current charger. They also
        suggest searching the US patent office pages for details about how to
        build a "burp" charger for alkaline batteries. Oh, and you cannot
        charge alkaline batteries in series. You have to monitor the cell
        voltage of each cell individually.

        Please post links if you find something good.

        It seems to me that when I was young and we had one of those really
        cheap battery chargers. The ones that "recharge" all types of
        batteries, and that I could recharge alkaline cells if I remembered
        to take them out after a short recharge period. ...yeah, I know,
        that's real scientific but I was just a kid!...

        --- In Electronics_101@y..., "tobias_keizer" <Tobias_Keizer@y...>