Anyone know where I can get some PATA connectors?

  • Bob Hyland
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 2, 2007
      Hey everyone:

      I am working on finishing a project that has been 2 years in the
      making (mainly because I was commuting 3.5 hours each day to and from
      work). I have most of the hard stuff built, except for the circuit
      board and two connectors. I am building a walk-in toy for my kids
      (kind of like a closet with buttons).

      The tricky part (for me) is that I have two separate, external panels
      to link in. One has 26 leads. The other will have 14.

      Looking around mile pile of (too much) stuff, I realized that I had
      about 20 or more unused Ultra ATA cables. I will not be connecting
      anywhere near that many drives. And, if I do, I will probably start
      using SATA drives and cables.

      Since I want to keep costs low, ** ahem ** I mean be environmentally
      friendly and reuse things (that sounds much better), I thought --
      well why not just use those "ready-to-go" cables?! Then, I hit a
      snag: I do not have any connectors to terminate the runs. I am
      looking for something like this:

      http://www.AfterHoursIT.com/bobs/images/ide_w_cable.jpg

      [Plan B involved using these 2 x 100 foot (~30.4 meters each) rolls
      of telephone wire (4 conductor, stranded, 26 gauge) that I picked up
      at the bargain basement price of $1.39 each. But, that would involve
      a lot of connectors -- 4 for the one panel, 7 for the other. Ugh.
      Still might use this wire for the runs from the connector to the
      lights and buttons on the panels.]

      Now, poking around Digi-Key, I found similar connectors for through
      hole construction on my PCB side (I do not do surface mount... yet).
      However, neither of the two external panels has a PCB. They both just
      have buttons and / or lights. So, ideally, I am looking for something
      that can be glued to the back of a panel, or connected in some way
      (bolted?). I want to be able to disconnect the panels, since I am
      certain I will not get everything right the first time, and do not
      want to be soldering and unsoldering this thing for the rest of my
      life.

      So, anybody have any ideas? I could even live with the wires being
      permanently attached to the panels, with the connector on the PCB
      side, if there is a handy crimping solution out there somewhere.

      Come on... someone here has to have experience reusing these things.

      I appreciate your help,

      Bob H.
      Message 2 of 4 , Jun 3, 2007
        On Saturday 02 June 2007 21:28, Bob Hyland wrote:
        > Hey everyone:
        >
        > I am working on finishing a project that has been 2 years in the
        > making (mainly because I was commuting 3.5 hours each day to and from
        > work). I have most of the hard stuff built, except for the circuit
        > board and two connectors. I am building a walk-in toy for my kids
        > (kind of like a closet with buttons).
        >
        > The tricky part (for me) is that I have two separate, external panels
        > to link in. One has 26 leads. The other will have 14.
        >
        > Looking around mile pile of (too much) stuff, I realized that I had
        > about 20 or more unused Ultra ATA cables. I will not be connecting
        > anywhere near that many drives. And, if I do, I will probably start
        > using SATA drives and cables.
        >
        > Since I want to keep costs low, ** ahem ** I mean be environmentally
        > friendly and reuse things (that sounds much better), I thought --
        > well why not just use those "ready-to-go" cables?! Then, I hit a
        > snag: I do not have any connectors to terminate the runs. I am
        > looking for something like this:
        >
        > http://www.AfterHoursIT.com/bobs/images/ide_w_cable.jpg
        >
        > [Plan B involved using these 2 x 100 foot (~30.4 meters each) rolls
        > of telephone wire (4 conductor, stranded, 26 gauge) that I picked up
        > at the bargain basement price of $1.39 each. But, that would involve
        > a lot of connectors -- 4 for the one panel, 7 for the other. Ugh.
        > Still might use this wire for the runs from the connector to the
        > lights and buttons on the panels.]
        >
        > Now, poking around Digi-Key, I found similar connectors for through
        > hole construction on my PCB side (I do not do surface mount... yet).
        > However, neither of the two external panels has a PCB. They both just
        > have buttons and / or lights. So, ideally, I am looking for something
        > that can be glued to the back of a panel, or connected in some way
        > (bolted?). I want to be able to disconnect the panels, since I am
        > certain I will not get everything right the first time, and do not
        > want to be soldering and unsoldering this thing for the rest of my
        > life.
        >
        > So, anybody have any ideas? I could even live with the wires being
        > permanently attached to the panels, with the connector on the PCB
        > side, if there is a handy crimping solution out there somewhere.
        >
        > Come on... someone here has to have experience reusing these things.
        >
        > I appreciate your help,

        Probably your best bet is going to be the use of wire-wrap connectors, even
        if you mount them on just a bit of perfboard. A couple of spacers to mount
        the bit of board will give you some rigidity, wire-wrap on the non-connector
        side allows for connections to go where you need them to, and if you have to
        you can change them easily enough. I haven't looked lately but I seem to
        remember seeing such stuff at either Jameco or JDR Microdevices some years
        back, both in "straight on" and right-angle versions. Dunno if they were
        shrouded connectors like the ones in your picture, though.

        Nice deal on the phone wire, BTW!

        -
        M Dakin
      • John Popelish
        Message 3 of 4 , Jun 3, 2007
          --- In Electronics_101@yahoogroups.com, "Bob Hyland" <Electronics@...>
          wrote:

          (snip)
          > Since I want to keep costs low, ** ahem ** I mean be environmentally
          > friendly and reuse things (that sounds much better), I thought --
          > well why not just use those "ready-to-go" cables?! Then, I hit a
          > snag: I do not have any connectors to terminate the runs. I am
          > looking for something like this:
          >
          > http://www.AfterHoursIT.com/bobs/images/ide_w_cable.jpg
          (snip)

          You can buy double row pin headers with pins on 0.1 inch centers and
          solder than onto small perf boards something like these:
          http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2102845&cp=2032058.2032230.2032265&parentPage=family
          Then solder short jumper wires between this board and the sections of
          your project. You may want to bolt these boards down to something to
          support those wires.

          Digikey sells many versions of the pin headers, including bare ones
          and units with ejectors.
        • Bob Hyland
          Message 4 of 4 , Jun 3, 2007
            --- "John Popelish" <jpopelish@...> wrote:
            > --- "Bob Hyland" <Electronics@> wrote:
            *snip*
            > > http://www.AfterHoursIT.com/bobs/images/ide_w_cable.jpg
            > (snip)
            >
            > You can buy double row pin headers with pins on 0.1 inch centers and
            > solder than onto small perf boards something like these:
            > <http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?
            productId=2102845&cp=2032058.2032230.2032265&parentPage=family>

            *snip*

            If I do this, I will suppose I could take this one step further.
            Since I will be using the Microchip I/O extenders (MCP23016 or
            MCP23017), I might as well move those right to the external panels.
            That way, I would only need to run 3 wires (2 data, 1 for the
            interrupt) per extender, plus the power connection. Heck, I could use
            an "RJ11" connector (more accurately known as a 6 position modular
            connector) going to each panel. 1 panel will need 2 extenders; the
            other needs only 1. So, 2 modular connectors and two power
            connectors. Heck, I think I can find some telephone wire around here
            somewhere! ;-)

            So, it would look something like this:

            (Panel1)-RJ11:--phone wire--CONTROL_MPU--phone wire--:RJ11-(Panel2)

            I expect that I could put all 3 entenders on the same I2C bus. NOTE:
            the distance from the main CPU board to each panel would be 24 inches
            or less. The wire runs on the panels would be 12 inches or less (from
            an I/O extender to a button and/or LED).

            Anybody see impending problems with this arrangement?

            Thanks,

            Bob H.