Advice on tools for new job....

  • lcdpublishing
    Message 1 of 39 , May 29, 2007
      Hi Guys,

      I quit my job and will be starting a new one tomorrow. The new job
      will involve more electrical work. I will be building CNC machines
      (Grinders) and will be doing the electical wiring, mechanical
      assembly, as well as the applications work for the customer to get the
      machine cutting the customer's parts correctly. There will also be
      some field service work too.

      All around, I am very excited with the new job and the great variety
      of work I will be doing, should keep it interesting.

      As I will be doing machine wiring as well as electrical trouble
      shooting and repair, I am not sure what tools would be most
      beneficial. Perhaps some of you guys that have had similar jobs could
      suggest some of the more "useful" tools of the trade. I know about
      the usual suspects (pliers, wrenches, nut drivers, socket wrenches,
      Allen wrenches etc,), I am just not sure of the tools for electrical
      repair and trouble shooting.

      I would think that a good multi-meter is critical, perhaps some step
      drills for making holes in cabinets for wire runs (hopefully they will
      have the larger knock-out punches). Wire cutters, wire strippers and
      aa soldering iron are also assumed, beyond that, not too sure what
      else to look for.

      Any suggestions or comments would be appreciated!

      THanks guys

      Chris
    • Ross McKenzie
      Message 39 of 39 , Jun 4, 2007
        Chris,

        The US's own Dr W. Edwards Deming had a lot to say about the impact of
        "cheap" on quality. When he was spurned in his own land, like most
        prophets, he turned to teaching the Japanese about quality and they
        listened, to the US's detriment. Those who ignore history are destined
        to repeat it.

        Here endth the lesson....

        Ross Mckenzie
        ValuSoft