TUNNEL DIODE SIMULATION USING FETS

  • Edwin Alcock
    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 27, 2007
      Hi All,

      I seem to remember seeing an article , but cannot remember where , which
      described how to produce a tunnel diode effect using a P and N channel FET
      combination .

      Q) Can anyone point me in the direction of any material on this topic
      please.

      Any help given would be gratefully received.

      Sincerely

      Ed A

      Solve the Conspiracy and win fantastic prizes.
      http://www.theconspiracygame.co.uk/
    • David S.
      Message 2 of 5 , Mar 27, 2007
        --- In Electronics_101@yahoogroups.com, "Edwin Alcock"
        <edwinalcock@...> wrote:

        > Hi All,
        >
        > I seem to remember seeing an article , but cannot remember where ,
        >which
        > described how to produce a tunnel diode effect using a P and N
        channel FET combination .

        Do a search for "lambda diode" and you should find some versions of
        that.

        73,
        Dave
      • David Snowdon
        Message 3 of 5 , Mar 30, 2007
          A lambda diode is made by connecting the Source of a N-FET (say a
          MPF102 or 2N3819) to the Source of a P-FET (say a 2N4342 or 2N4360).

          The anode of the lambda diode is the connection of the N-FET's Drain
          to the P-FET's Gate.

          The cathode of the lambda diode is the connection of the N-FET's Gate
          to the P-FET's Drain.

          Like a tunnel diode, this circuit produces only a couple of milliwatts
          of power, and is temperature sensitive.

          <edwinalcock@...> wrote:

          > Hi All,
          >
          > I seem to remember seeing an article , but cannot remember where ,
          which
          > described how to produce a tunnel diode effect using a P and N
          channel FET
          > combination .
          >
          > Q) Can anyone point me in the direction of any material on this topic
          > please.
          >
          > Any help given would be gratefully received.
          >
          > Sincerely
          >
          > Ed A

          > Solve the Conspiracy and win fantastic prizes.
          > http://www.theconspiracygame.co.uk/

        • Mike W
          Message 4 of 5 , Mar 30, 2007
            OMG I thought the world forgot about "TUNNEL DIODES" cool I am not alone anymore.

            wrote:

            > Hi All,
            >
            > I seem to remember seeing an article , but cannot remember where ,
            which
            > described how to produce a tunnel diode effect using a P and N
            channel FET
            > combination .
            >
            > Q) Can anyone point me in the direction of any material on this topic
            > please.
            >
            > Any help given would be gratefully received.
            >
            > Sincerely
            >
            > Ed A

            > Solve the Conspiracy and win fantastic prizes.
            > http://www.theconspiracygame.co.uk/

            Yahoo! Groups Links

            Message 5 of 5 , Mar 31, 2007
              On Friday 30 March 2007 17:46, Mike W wrote:
              > OMG I thought the world forgot about "TUNNEL DIODES" cool I am not alone
              > anymore.

              Apparently not. There's some nontrivial amount of discussion of them over in
              the TekScopes group, though I'm not exactly clear what Tek used them for.

              Since tunnel diodes are supposed to be able to operate at really high
              frequencies, I wonder how this equivalent would do in that regard?

              -
              M Dakin