Re: Micro controller

  • cpcoop1
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 20, 2002
      Hello,

      As many people said, PIC is good, but you need to buy/build a
      programmer (ie. PIC ICD, PICSTART plus or others).

      Alternately, there's many other choices. For example, you can buy a
      HC11 or HC12 EVB (Evaluation board), they can be very small,
      including the header with all the pinouts on a little board. All you
      need is the free assembler software (or find a free C compiler like
      the GNU compiler) and a serial cable (which is probably included in
      the EVB kit). A lot of companies online sells these HC11 EVB. This
      place has a very good selections and i bought from them before:

      http://www.technologicalarts.com/

      In my opinion, PIC is easy to use once you get the hang of it, but
      HC11/12 seems to be a bit more powerful than the PIC16 series. You
      have 2 accumulators and 2 index reg in hc11 and you get 1 of each in
      a PIC16.

      Also, for very inexperience users, you may find a parallax BASIC
      stamp useful. They are popular among hobbyists. I think they are
      good for small projects and hobbyists, but not for developing a cheap
      product. they are also single threaded.
      check out http://www.parallaxinc.com/

      Hope my info helps. If you have any questions, feel free to ask me.

      Kelvin

      --- In Electronics_101@y..., Steve Greenfield <alienrelics@y...>