Re: [Electronics_101] LM386 amp

  • Dominic Rivron
    Message 1 of 7 , Apr 18, 2001
      Darren Reid wrote:

      > Hmm. Did you build it straight from the app notes, or some other schematic?
      > Can you point us to the schematic you used, somewhere on the web? The hiss
      > might be from lack of a true ground...

      Thanks for this (and thanks to Joshua too. The amp in question is part
      of:
      http://www.radiohc.org/Distributions/Dxers/dsratregen.html

      Dominic
      --

      http://dominic.rivron.tripod.com

      http://www.thehungersite.com
    • Darren Reid
      Message 2 of 7 , Apr 19, 2001
        "Dominic Rivron" <karen.rivron@...> sez:

        > Thanks for this (and thanks to Joshua too. The amp in question is part
        > of:
        > http://www.radiohc.org/Distributions/Dxers/dsratregen.html

        Wow. Truly bizarre. I am too new to all this to comment usefully on such an
        arcane construction...what the hell is that transistor on the inputs for? It
        would seem to account for your prediliction to oscillation, if I can follow
        what's going on. Anyway, you'd have a constant hum alright; there'd always
        be something flowing across one of the inputs, right?

        If you want a simple LM386 amp, check out National's app notes for the chip.
        Use it like you'd use a standard op-amp, and you would be worlds ahead of
        that strange device :)

        -Darren
      • Dominic Rivron
        Message 3 of 7 , Apr 19, 2001
          Funnily enough, your comment re the true earth provided the answer,
          thank you. I rearranged it, and it works like a dream. Arcane it may be,
          but it works very well:-) I thought the design looked strange -the
          battery symbol's back to front for a start I think- so I've built it a
          bit at a time (so as not to waste time). So far (I've done the rf and af
          amps) it's worked very well. There are photos of a constructed Desert
          Ratt at the end of
          http://www.qsl.net/k7qo/manhat.htm
          (I think that's the right link).

          Dominic

          Message 4 of 7 , Apr 19, 2001
            > Funnily enough, your comment re the true earth provided the answer,
            > thank you. I rearranged it, and it works like a dream. Arcane it may be,
            > but it works very well:-) I thought the design looked strange -the
            > battery symbol's back to front for a start I think- so I've built it a
            > bit at a time (so as not to waste time). So far (I've done the rf and af
            > amps) it's worked very well.

            Cool. Glad to have been of help, even if I barely had a clue :)

            Anyone know how to quieten a switching power supply for use in audio
            circuitry? I have a cheapy power supply laying around, and am curious...

            -Darren