Please help on a Circuit for Heat Gun

  • Philip
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 3, 2006
      Hi, I need help building a heat gun from scratch. It has to fit into
      a steel tube 1.5 inch inner dia, to provide hot air into a test
      enclosure, so it should work sort of like a heat gun/hair drier.
      The main criteria is it has to be cheap. Really really cheap.
      Nichrome wire is fairly cheap and temperature regulation only has to
      be accurate to about +/- 5C (9F), so I figured a bimetallic strip
      thermostat would be good enough. The set up has to be air tight so
      only the supply wires can be inserted through the steel tube walls,
      with some form of air-tight insulation. I don't know how to apply
      the thermostat to control the temperature from the outside. Air temp
      is not being measured inside the tube, although this could be done
      during initial developmental stage, for deciding the circuit element
      specs.
      Here are the specs. for the heater.
      Temperature range: 100 to 200 C/ 220 to 440 F
      Heating Element: Nichrome wire. (Coiled type)
      Supply voltage: 110V 60Hz.
      Wattage: not sure yet. but definitely </= 1kW, judging from most
      hair driers.
      I would be very grateful to all for any suggestions. Thank you.
      Philip
      Message 2 of 2 , Jul 4, 2006
        On Tue, 04 Jul 2006 01:49:15 +0200, Philip <philipkpanicker@...>
        wrote:

        > Hi, I need help building a heat gun from scratch. It has to fit into
        > a steel tube 1.5 inch inner dia, to provide hot air into a test
        > enclosure, so it should work sort of like a heat gun/hair drier.
        > The main criteria is it has to be cheap. Really really cheap.
        > Nichrome wire is fairly cheap and temperature regulation only has to
        > be accurate to about +/- 5C (9F), so I figured a bimetallic strip
        > thermostat would be good enough. The set up has to be air tight so
        > only the supply wires can be inserted through the steel tube walls,
        > with some form of air-tight insulation. I don't know how to apply
        > the thermostat to control the temperature from the outside. Air temp
        > is not being measured inside the tube, although this could be done
        > during initial developmental stage, for deciding the circuit element
        > specs.
        > Here are the specs. for the heater.
        > Temperature range: 100 to 200 C/ 220 to 440 F
        > Heating Element: Nichrome wire. (Coiled type)
        > Supply voltage: 110V 60Hz.
        > Wattage: not sure yet. but definitely </= 1kW, judging from most
        > hair driers.
        > I would be very grateful to all for any suggestions. Thank you.
        > Philip

        Make it much like a hairdrier, wind the heater wire around a x of mica
        sheet.
        A ceramic body would be better but difficult to make.

        The good heat gun i have uses a ceramic cylinder with holes through the
        length through which the coiled heating wire is stuck back and forth.