Re: Safety question about current...

    Message 1 of 71 , Jun 30, 2006
      --- In Electronics_101@yahoogroups.com, "Jack Giammerse,Jr."
      <slouchguy@...> wrote:

      > Sorry for my ignorance here,
      > But,by a flat iron,are you talking about the thing you iron
      clothes with,or some other type of object?

      Yes, a simple flat iron that would be used to iron clothes. Hot 120V
      to one side of iron, the other side of the iron to one rod and the
      other rod to neutral. The arc current is limited by the resistance of
      the flat iron.

      I haven't thought about the electrical noise such a thing must
      generate but the light is quite intense - like an arc welder.

      I just used strips of metal mounted perpendicular to a piece of wood
      with one end wrapped around the rod and the other screwed to the wood.
      For control, I attached wood clothes pins to the upright portion of
      the metal strip.

      Richard
      Message 71 of 71 , Jul 4 4:55 PM
        On Tuesday 04 July 2006 04:01 pm, Jack Giammerse,Jr. wrote:
        > Thanks,Roy,
        > I have heard the phrase Sealed Lead-Acid before,but do not remember
        > seeing the acronym SLA until here in this thread.Here in the U.S.,the
        > acronym SLA only brings to mind the "Symbionese Liberation Army",

        For me as well. :-)

        > The lady did get out of prison after several years and go on to live a more
        > normal life,and she did all this with her dignity intact. I admire her
        > greatly for that,because it is a testament to her true character.

        Interesting, as I'd never heard any of that. But as you say OT. :-)

        ablest -- form of life in this section of space, a critter that can
        be killed but can't be tamed. --Robert A. Heinlein, "The Puppet Masters"
        -
        M Dakin