Another newbie question

  • Jack Giammerse,Jr.
    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 30, 2006
      Roy Tellason said :
      And maybe for dealing with really low-level signals, like audio preamps and
      such?

      > Also,in general,the more precise your application, the smaller tolerance
      > percentage you will want,typically 5% or 1%, meaning that the true value of
      > the component will deviate from its rated value by AT MOST the tolerance
      > percentage.

      When I first started with electronics, 20% resistors would still be found in
      stuff. As well as really odd ways of marking the value with colored dots,
      body color, etc. that you never see any more. Then 10% values became more
      common, and these days 5% seems to be the norm, with 1% not being all that
      uncommon any more, though most applications don't call for them.

      And when you get right down to it, probably 80% or more of applications don't
      even require 5% tolerance, they'll work just fine with a range of values in
      there. When you start really looking at this stuff and find things like a 6
      to 1 spread in transistor beta and similar, it's sometimes amazing that
      stuff works as well as it does. :-) Clever engineering, I guess.

      As Roy says,circuits with low-level signals,and for that matter any audio or
      video circuit would benefit greatly from using metal film resistors and relatively low tolerance ratings.You really want the least possible noise or junk being introduced
      into audio or video circuits by low-quality components.On the other hand,for more
      general and noncritical applications,then 10% tolerance carbon film resistors will
      do just fine,and,if I remember correctly,Radio Shack has a very nice large
      assortment of carbon film resistors for a very reasonable price.I think there are
      maybe 500 in the pack and maybe 10% tolerance(not exactly sure I have the
      numbers right,but it is a really good assortment of general purpose resistors).
           Sincerely, Jack G.

      Do you Yahoo!?