Re: PC Digital Oscilloscope and Audio Generator interface Software

  • Bob Hyland-PMP
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 28, 2006
      --- "wdavis364" <wdavis@...> wrote:

      > Looking for opinions and advice on PC Digital Oscilloscope and
      Audio
      > Generator interface Software. I'm not an electronic expert by any
      > means. I just need something that will give me some ideal what a
      > circuit is doing.
      > What are the pros and cons?
      > Thanks
      > bill

      Bill:

      I built a simple one a few years ago using an old audio card, from
      which I hacked out the Low-Pass filter (used to clip nything above
      20KHz). It was from a site on the web somewhere. However, I spent 5
      minuts and could not find the reference. I am sure I have it on
      paper somewhere. Search the web. You will find free schematics and
      free software.

      I achieved very good results up to about ~200KHz. Afer that, the
      accuracy really dropped off. However, at the time I was not seeking
      accuracy, but rather the "general shape" of signals. I could get a
      decent read on signals to about 1MHz (with a bit of extrapolation on
      my part).

      What is your budget? If you are one of the lucky ones that can spare
      ~$100 to $200, then you can buy some ready made ones that are not
      bad:

      http://www.parallax.com/detail.asp?product_id=28014 - $129
      http://electronickits.com/gold/vepcs100.htm - $179.95
      (there are lots of others out there)

      Parallax has a good support record, at least in my book.

      These will not rival a professional (Tek) model. However, they may
      get you what you need at a decent price point.

      Three other quick sources:

      1) http://www.ebay.com <- several people here have purchased used
      but working equipment from ebay (myself included). When I upgraded
      the homebuilt model, I went that route. You may have to hunt a bit
      before finding a deal, but occassionally you can snag one for pretty
      cheap.

      2) Although this is slight off of what you requested, there was a
      review of logic analyzers in EDN back in December. Although these
      are not exactly what you are seeking, the article is useful in
      demonstrating what to look for:
      http://www.edn.com/article/CA6288030.html (HTML)
      http://www.edn.com/contents/images/6288030.pdf (PDF)

      3) I was conversing with a guy in India (Ramachandra) who built a
      DSO using an 8051 Micro. His was good in the audio range (up to
      ~125Khz). He offered some time ago to work together on a project to
      design and build a higher BW project. I have not spoken with him in
      about a month. However, he might still be interested in
      collaborating on one with you if you want to build one from scratch.
      Let me know and I will introduce you two.

      Good luck!

      Bob H.