mp3 player+ hard disk-how to?

  • roundtheglobe
    Message 1 of 3 , May 7, 2002
      I need to make a memory extension for a mp3 player adding a hard disk
      to it.
      Is there a way to use a pocket organizer to control data exchange
      between the two?
      Also is it better a usb connection or eide?
      HOw do I go for it?
      Gab-
    • Robert Graf
      Message 2 of 3 , May 7, 2002
        Message 3 of 3 , May 7, 2002
          Why don't you try something much easier, get yourself an organizer that can play MP3s, most, if not all, of the new organizers have a type 2 PCMCIA slot. I remeber that IBM has some 1GIG drive (maybe more now) that uses a type 2 PCMCIA, I can't remember its name though (this was from some magazine ffrom 2000). Maybe now they got larger drives you can use.

              Another approach, the simplest, go buy yourself one of those portable CD players that can play MP3s (like portable VCD players), burn a few MP3 CDs, and you're done.
          > I need to make a memory extension for a mp3 player adding a hard disk
          > to it.
          > Is there a way to use a pocket organizer to control data exchange
          > between the two?
          > Also is it better a usb connection or eide?
          > HOw do I go for it?
          > Gab-

          It would help if you gave more specifics, like the type of player you are
          trying to modify, but here's a short answer:

          The control electronics for a hard drive differ considerably from those of a
          memory controller. While it is easy to mimic a hard drive with memory (ram
          drive), the opposite is not so trivial. Not only would you need to add a
          drive controller, you would also need to write a driver for that controller.
          Using usb would require adding usb circuitry and a usb driver as well.
          There's also no method of formatting the drive built into the mp3 player in
          all likelihood. You would encounter the same problems with your pocket
          organizer as well. If it could support a hard drive, it would have built in
          already, most likely. If it has a pcmcia slot, it might be able to use one,
          but getting the organizer to talk to the mp3 player would probably be
          another hopeless task. Adding functions to microelectronics is not like
          working on tube amps, the surface mount components require care and
          precision in modifying. By the time you got done, you will probably find
          that you could have taken a minimum wage job and just saved up for a player
          that already had a drive built in. I also don't think you could make
          anything that would stand up to portable use as you would need to make a new
          case to fit everything you need inside it, including a bigger ps for the
          drive.

          Kwick Pick opens locked car doors,
          front doors, drawers, briefcases,
          padlocks, and more. On sale now!