Stepper motor performance - anyone have a feel for good or okay?

  • lcdpublishing
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 1, 2006
      Hi guys,

      I am just thrilled right now with my translater - I am getting
      really good performance. More so than what I reported earlier.

      I just started stepping up higher and higher on the speeds to see
      where she would top out at before the motor goes into SPAZ mode.

      I am using a 5 volt stepper, 400 mA rating, Nema 17 motor. It is a
      square frame motor from Minebea Co. Ltd. and I have yet to find
      specs for this exact motor 17PM-K304-05V.

      Anyway, I am using my new power supply from that hacked transformer
      I got out of an old computer UPS. It is giving me 20 Volts, so, I am
      over volting the motor 4 times name plate.

      I am now getting this little table to move at 52 inches per minute
      which works out to 15000 steps per second and 1125 RPM. I am pretty
      sure there is little or no torque there, but for testing, it's
      enough to move the table back and forth pretty quickly.

      I have only worked with two other steppers before so I don't have a
      feel for what would be good regarding speed. My previous
      experiences are with the same driver (SLA7062M), but running nema 23
      and 34 motors at 10 times name plate. Those peak out around 1500
      RPM if memory serves me. So, as you can guess, I am pretty happy
      with a current peak speed of 1125 RPM.

      So, if anyone has some comparitive experience with this size motor
      and specs, I woould love to hear your comments.

      Chris (happy camper today!)