Re: [Electronics_101] Re: Need to know what something is called or recomendations...

    Message 1 of 22 , Apr 1, 2006
      On Saturday 01 April 2006 12:49 pm, Stefan Trethan wrote:
      > On Sat, 01 Apr 2006 19:33:07 +0200, Roy J. Tellason
      > <rtellason@...> wrote:
      > > I know that card-edge connectors used to be used a whole lot more than
      > > they seem to be now -- like for floppy drivers, ferinstance, when 5.25"
      > > drives were the common thing. And that they've moved to pin-type
      > > connectors instead. This has to tell us something, perhaps about
      > > reliability?
      >
      > Perhaps also about pin density i think not all of those came at 100mil
      > centers.

      Yes.

      > I wouldn't say they are by design unreliable, since all the "important"
      > features (plated contact areas and spring loaded contacts) can be there,
      > but it seems cleaning them quite often fixes a contact problem.

      I did that quite often as a part of the repair process. In the case of the
      Osborne 1 it sometimes also took building up solder on the board, because
      they chose for some reason to make a custom board to have on the drive and to
      run power through the ribbon cable, which created reliability problems.

      > They are also used a lot in all kinds of test equipment (e.g. tek scopes
      > with plugins). You can clean the female side by folding a piece of paper
      > over a piece of PCB and wetting it with alcohol before inserting it several
      > times. I wouldn't prefer to use them for anything, esp. since it would
      > require me to set up for plating the female side, which i don't want to do,
      > or i would need to buy the female connectors, which eliminated the price
      > advantage.

      Agreed.

      ablest -- form of life in this section of space, a critter that can
      be killed but can't be tamed. --Robert A. Heinlein, "The Puppet Masters"
      -
      M Dakin
    • Bill Maxwell
      Message 2 of 22 , Apr 1, 2006
        They actually ship from Thailand, although the contact point is in Sydney.
        I've used them several times over the years and have been very happy with
        the service. One recent order was short-supplied, seemingly due to confusion
        bewtween english and thai, but an e-mail to the company brought the missing
        chips within a few days.

        Bill