Re: Need to know what something is called or recomendations...

  • lcdpublishing
    Message 1 of 22 , Apr 1, 2006
      Will do, perhaps they have some neat little experimenters and such.
      My Stk500 is getting one heck of a work out lately!

      Chris

      Message 2 of 22 , Apr 1, 2006
        On Sat, 01 Apr 2006 19:54:51 +0200, lcdpublishing
        <lcdpublishing@...> wrote:

        > My concern is with the home-made PCBs and the durability of the
        >
        > copper that would go into the sockets. So much of my stuff is all
        >
        > trial and error (because I don't know much - yet), that I would
        >
        > worry I would wear the copper off the PCB.
        >

        > Chris

        You'd really need to plate those anyway...

        Message 3 of 22 , Apr 1, 2006
          On Saturday 01 April 2006 12:49 pm, Stefan Trethan wrote:
          > On Sat, 01 Apr 2006 19:33:07 +0200, Roy J. Tellason
          > <rtellason@...> wrote:
          > > I know that card-edge connectors used to be used a whole lot more than
          > > they seem to be now -- like for floppy drivers, ferinstance, when 5.25"
          > > drives were the common thing. And that they've moved to pin-type
          > > connectors instead. This has to tell us something, perhaps about
          > > reliability?
          >
          > Perhaps also about pin density i think not all of those came at 100mil
          > centers.

          Yes.

          > I wouldn't say they are by design unreliable, since all the "important"
          > features (plated contact areas and spring loaded contacts) can be there,
          > but it seems cleaning them quite often fixes a contact problem.

          I did that quite often as a part of the repair process. In the case of the
          Osborne 1 it sometimes also took building up solder on the board, because
          they chose for some reason to make a custom board to have on the drive and to
          run power through the ribbon cable, which created reliability problems.

          > They are also used a lot in all kinds of test equipment (e.g. tek scopes
          > with plugins). You can clean the female side by folding a piece of paper
          > over a piece of PCB and wetting it with alcohol before inserting it several
          > times. I wouldn't prefer to use them for anything, esp. since it would
          > require me to set up for plating the female side, which i don't want to do,
          > or i would need to buy the female connectors, which eliminated the price
          > advantage.

          Agreed.

          ablest -- form of life in this section of space, a critter that can
          be killed but can't be tamed. --Robert A. Heinlein, "The Puppet Masters"
          -
          M Dakin
        • Bill Maxwell
          Message 4 of 22 , Apr 1, 2006
            They actually ship from Thailand, although the contact point is in Sydney.
            I've used them several times over the years and have been very happy with
            the service. One recent order was short-supplied, seemingly due to confusion
            bewtween english and thai, but an e-mail to the company brought the missing
            chips within a few days.

            Bill