Re: Bench / test power supply questions...

  • lcdpublishing
    Message 1 of 20 , Apr 1, 2006
      Roy, while thumbing through my recent aquisition of of Poptronics
      magazines, I noticed a power supply similar to what Bruce wrote
      about. This one uses the same chips, it dual output, but the really
      strange part is the guy is using two lead-acid batteries to make the
      power supply portable. I have no use for a battery powered power
      supply, I would rather it be "with cord".

      If I can get the scanner to cooperate this afternoon, I can scan and
      email you that. Would that help you out?

      Chris

      --- In Electronics_101@yahoogroups.com, "Roy J. Tellason"
      <rtellason@...> wrote:

      > On Friday 31 March 2006 09:25 am, Bruce Carter wrote:
      > > > I think I am getting to the point where I should be looking
      for a
      > > > bench power supply.
      > >
      > > Radio Electronics (or electronics world - whatever) had an
      article for
      > > an LM317 / LM337 based lab supply several years ago - early
      90's. It
      > > was quite novel, because it used two in series - one to do the
      gross
      > > drop from the unregulated, then a second that was virtually
      idling to
      > > do the precision part. It was a triple output, with a low
      voltage more
      > > current and a dual split supply that could track or run
      independent. I
      > > made it, it has been a dependable and stable supply for many
      years -
      > > and I spent almost no money except for the meters.
      >
      > Is there a schematic for this online any place? I would be
      interested in
      > seeing that, particularly the bit about tracking/independent.
      >
      > I've seen some stuff done with two of those regulators cascaded,
      one for
      > voltage regulation and the other one to current-limit, but havn't
      tried such
      > a setup yet.
      >
      > --
      > Member of the toughest, meanest, deadliest, most unrelenting -- and
      > ablest -- form of life in this section of space, a critter that
      can
      > be killed but can't be tamed. --Robert A. Heinlein, "The Puppet
      Masters"

      Message 2 of 20 , Apr 1, 2006
        On Saturday 01 April 2006 12:53 pm, lcdpublishing wrote:
        > Roy, while thumbing through my recent aquisition of of Poptronics
        > magazines, I noticed a power supply similar to what Bruce wrote
        > about. This one uses the same chips, it dual output, but the really
        > strange part is the guy is using two lead-acid batteries to make the
        > power supply portable. I have no use for a battery powered power
        > supply, I would rather it be "with cord".
        >
        > If I can get the scanner to cooperate this afternoon, I can scan and
        > email you that. Would that help you out?

        Heck, I'm always interested in looking at stuff like that... :-)

        Message 3 of 20 , Apr 1, 2006
          I will try and scan the article and email it to you. If you can
          figure out how to make it more functional, let me know as I would
          like to build a power supply if I can find one somewhere cheaper.

          Will your email that you use here work for me to send the PDFs?

          Message 4 of 20 , Apr 1, 2006
            On Saturday 01 April 2006 03:23 pm, lcdpublishing wrote:
            > I will try and scan the article and email it to you. If you can
            > figure out how to make it more functional, let me know as I would
            > like to build a power supply if I can find one somewhere cheaper.
            >
            > Will your email that you use here work for me to send the PDFs?

            Sure will.

            Message 5 of 20 , Apr 2, 2006
              Roy, My scanner and it's printer is on the fritz. I have a spare
              here and will get it hooked up later this week - sorry.

              <rtellason@...> wrote:

              > On Saturday 01 April 2006 03:23 pm, lcdpublishing wrote:
              > > I will try and scan the article and email it to you. If you can
              > > figure out how to make it more functional, let me know as I would
              > > like to build a power supply if I can find one somewhere cheaper.
              > >
              > > Will your email that you use here work for me to send the PDFs?
              >
              > Sure will.
              >
              > > --- In Electronics_101@yahoogroups.com, "Roy J. Tellason"
              > >
              > > <rtellason@> wrote:
              Poptronics

              > > really

              > > the

              > > and

              > > > Heck, I'm always interested in looking at stuff like
              that... :-)

              > > > --
              > > > Member of the toughest, meanest, deadliest, most unrelenting --
              and
              > > > ablest -- form of life in this section of space, a critter
              that

              > > can
              > >
              > > > be killed but can't be tamed. --Robert A. Heinlein, "The
              Puppet

              > > Masters"
              > >
              > > > -
              > > > Information is more dangerous than cannon to a society ruled by
              > >
              > > lies. --James
              > >
              > > > M Dakin
              > >
              > > Yahoo! Groups Links
              > >

              > --
              > Member of the toughest, meanest, deadliest, most unrelenting -- and
              > ablest -- form of life in this section of space, a critter that
              can
              > be killed but can't be tamed. --Robert A. Heinlein, "The Puppet
              Masters"
              > -
              > Information is more dangerous than cannon to a society ruled by
              lies. --James
              > M Dakin

            • Nelson Johnsrud
              Message 6 of 20 , Apr 2, 2006
                Chris, could I trouble you to copy me on this? I am also interested. I
                would appreciate it.

                Nels
                gop4evr@...

                Message 7 of 20 , Apr 2, 2006
                  On Sunday 02 April 2006 12:35 pm, lcdpublishing wrote:
                  > Roy, My scanner and it's printer is on the fritz. I have a spare
                  > here and will get it hooked up later this week - sorry.
                  >
                  > Chris

                  That's okay, no rush, I have plenty else to keep me busy here... :-)