Re: [Electronics_101] Re: Need to know what something is called or recomendations...

    Message 1 of 22 , Apr 1, 2006
      On Sat, 01 Apr 2006 19:33:07 +0200, Roy J. Tellason
      <rtellason@...> wrote:

      > I know that card-edge connectors used to be used a whole lot more than
      > they
      >
      > seem to be now -- like for floppy drivers, ferinstance, when 5.25"
      > drives
      >
      > were the common thing. And that they've moved to pin-type connectors
      >
      > instead. This has to tell us something, perhaps about reliability?

      Perhaps also about pin density i think not all of those came at 100mil
      centers.

      I wouldn't say they are by design unreliable, since all the "important"
      features (plated contact areas and spring loaded contacts) can be there,
      but it seems cleaning them quite often fixes a contact problem. They are
      also used a lot in all kinds of test equipment (e.g. tek scopes with
      plugins). You can clean the female side by folding a piece of paper over a
      piece of PCB and wetting it with alcohol before inserting it several times.
      I wouldn't prefer to use them for anything, esp. since it would require me
      to set up for plating the female side, which i don't want to do, or i
      would need to buy the female connectors, which eliminated the price
      advantage.

      ST
    • lcdpublishing
      Message 2 of 22 , Apr 1, 2006
        My concern is with the home-made PCBs and the durability of the
        copper that would go into the sockets. So much of my stuff is all
        trial and error (because I don't know much - yet), that I would
        worry I would wear the copper off the PCB.

        Chris

        --- In Electronics_101@yahoogroups.com, "Stefan Trethan"
        <stefan_trethan@...> wrote:

        > On Sat, 01 Apr 2006 19:33:07 +0200, Roy J. Tellason
        > <rtellason@...> wrote:
        >

        > > I know that card-edge connectors used to be used a whole lot
        more than
        > > they
        > >
        > > seem to be now -- like for floppy drivers, ferinstance, when
        5.25"
        > > drives
        > >
        > > were the common thing. And that they've moved to pin-type
        connectors

        > > instead. This has to tell us something, perhaps about
        reliability?

        > Perhaps also about pin density i think not all of those came at
        100mil
        > centers.
        >
        > I wouldn't say they are by design unreliable, since all
        the "important"
        > features (plated contact areas and spring loaded contacts) can be
        there,
        > but it seems cleaning them quite often fixes a contact problem.
        They are
        > also used a lot in all kinds of test equipment (e.g. tek scopes
        with
        > plugins). You can clean the female side by folding a piece of
        paper over a
        > piece of PCB and wetting it with alcohol before inserting it
        several times.
        > I wouldn't prefer to use them for anything, esp. since it would
        require me
        > to set up for plating the female side, which i don't want to do,
        or i
        > would need to buy the female connectors, which eliminated the
        price
        > advantage.
        >
        > ST

      • lcdpublishing
        Message 3 of 22 , Apr 1, 2006
          Will do, perhaps they have some neat little experimenters and such.
          My Stk500 is getting one heck of a work out lately!

          Chris

          Message 4 of 22 , Apr 1, 2006
            On Sat, 01 Apr 2006 19:54:51 +0200, lcdpublishing
            <lcdpublishing@...> wrote:

            > My concern is with the home-made PCBs and the durability of the
            >
            > copper that would go into the sockets. So much of my stuff is all
            >
            > trial and error (because I don't know much - yet), that I would
            >
            > worry I would wear the copper off the PCB.
            >

            > Chris

            You'd really need to plate those anyway...

            Message 5 of 22 , Apr 1, 2006
              On Saturday 01 April 2006 12:49 pm, Stefan Trethan wrote:
              > On Sat, 01 Apr 2006 19:33:07 +0200, Roy J. Tellason
              > <rtellason@...> wrote:
              > > I know that card-edge connectors used to be used a whole lot more than
              > > they seem to be now -- like for floppy drivers, ferinstance, when 5.25"
              > > drives were the common thing. And that they've moved to pin-type
              > > connectors instead. This has to tell us something, perhaps about
              > > reliability?
              >
              > Perhaps also about pin density i think not all of those came at 100mil
              > centers.

              Yes.

              > I wouldn't say they are by design unreliable, since all the "important"
              > features (plated contact areas and spring loaded contacts) can be there,
              > but it seems cleaning them quite often fixes a contact problem.

              I did that quite often as a part of the repair process. In the case of the
              Osborne 1 it sometimes also took building up solder on the board, because
              they chose for some reason to make a custom board to have on the drive and to
              run power through the ribbon cable, which created reliability problems.

              > They are also used a lot in all kinds of test equipment (e.g. tek scopes
              > with plugins). You can clean the female side by folding a piece of paper
              > over a piece of PCB and wetting it with alcohol before inserting it several
              > times. I wouldn't prefer to use them for anything, esp. since it would
              > require me to set up for plating the female side, which i don't want to do,
              > or i would need to buy the female connectors, which eliminated the price
              > advantage.

              Agreed.

              ablest -- form of life in this section of space, a critter that can
              be killed but can't be tamed. --Robert A. Heinlein, "The Puppet Masters"
              -
              M Dakin
            • Bill Maxwell
              Message 6 of 22 , Apr 1, 2006
                They actually ship from Thailand, although the contact point is in Sydney.
                I've used them several times over the years and have been very happy with
                the service. One recent order was short-supplied, seemingly due to confusion
                bewtween english and thai, but an e-mail to the company brought the missing
                chips within a few days.

                Bill