Re: [Electronics_101] Re: Need to know what something is called or recomendations...

    Message 1 of 22 , Apr 1, 2006
      On Saturday 01 April 2006 08:08 am, Barry Savage wrote:
      > Chris, I don't know if this will help you in later design, but I think I
      > recall the old S-100 bus system used a backplane with many sockets and
      > the boards plugged into it similar to the way cards plug into computers
      > these days. So, in any given module, you could design the PCB with
      > "teeth" that fit into the sockets on the backplane. Just a thought.
      > Long ago, I remember Jerry Pernouli bemoaning the demise of the S-100.
      > Roy, chime in here, I'll bet you know a lot about the S-100.
      >
      > Barry

      I know that card-edge connectors used to be used a whole lot more than they
      seem to be now -- like for floppy drivers, ferinstance, when 5.25" drives
      were the common thing. And that they've moved to pin-type connectors
      instead. This has to tell us something, perhaps about reliability?

      > lcdpublishing wrote:
      > > Thanks guys!
      > >
      > > Yes, those at Digikey and the ones Robert showed are what I am looking
      > > for. That should do the trick for what I need to do. It seems as
      > > though I am having more and more needs to stack boards like this so I
      > > am going to have to get a variety of them.
      > >
      > > I can't believe i missed them - I have been through all my catalogs at
      > > least three times each and was never sure of what I needed or could
      > > find it.
      > >
      > > Thanks again!
      > >
      > > Chris
      >
      > Yahoo! Groups Links

      ablest -- form of life in this section of space, a critter that can
      be killed but can't be tamed. --Robert A. Heinlein, "The Puppet Masters"
      -
      M Dakin
      Message 2 of 22 , Apr 1, 2006
        On Sat, 01 Apr 2006 19:33:07 +0200, Roy J. Tellason
        <rtellason@...> wrote:

        > I know that card-edge connectors used to be used a whole lot more than
        > they
        >
        > seem to be now -- like for floppy drivers, ferinstance, when 5.25"
        > drives
        >
        > were the common thing. And that they've moved to pin-type connectors
        >
        > instead. This has to tell us something, perhaps about reliability?

        Perhaps also about pin density i think not all of those came at 100mil
        centers.

        I wouldn't say they are by design unreliable, since all the "important"
        features (plated contact areas and spring loaded contacts) can be there,
        but it seems cleaning them quite often fixes a contact problem. They are
        also used a lot in all kinds of test equipment (e.g. tek scopes with
        plugins). You can clean the female side by folding a piece of paper over a
        piece of PCB and wetting it with alcohol before inserting it several times.
        I wouldn't prefer to use them for anything, esp. since it would require me
        to set up for plating the female side, which i don't want to do, or i
        would need to buy the female connectors, which eliminated the price
        advantage.

        ST
      • lcdpublishing
        Message 3 of 22 , Apr 1, 2006
          My concern is with the home-made PCBs and the durability of the
          copper that would go into the sockets. So much of my stuff is all
          trial and error (because I don't know much - yet), that I would
          worry I would wear the copper off the PCB.

          Chris

          --- In Electronics_101@yahoogroups.com, "Stefan Trethan"
          <stefan_trethan@...> wrote:

          > On Sat, 01 Apr 2006 19:33:07 +0200, Roy J. Tellason
          > <rtellason@...> wrote:
          >

          > > I know that card-edge connectors used to be used a whole lot
          more than
          > > they
          > >
          > > seem to be now -- like for floppy drivers, ferinstance, when
          5.25"
          > > drives
          > >
          > > were the common thing. And that they've moved to pin-type
          connectors

          > > instead. This has to tell us something, perhaps about
          reliability?

          > Perhaps also about pin density i think not all of those came at
          100mil
          > centers.
          >
          > I wouldn't say they are by design unreliable, since all
          the "important"
          > features (plated contact areas and spring loaded contacts) can be
          there,
          > but it seems cleaning them quite often fixes a contact problem.
          They are
          > also used a lot in all kinds of test equipment (e.g. tek scopes
          with
          > plugins). You can clean the female side by folding a piece of
          paper over a
          > piece of PCB and wetting it with alcohol before inserting it
          several times.
          > I wouldn't prefer to use them for anything, esp. since it would
          require me
          > to set up for plating the female side, which i don't want to do,
          or i
          > would need to buy the female connectors, which eliminated the
          price
          > advantage.
          >
          > ST

        • lcdpublishing
          Message 4 of 22 , Apr 1, 2006
            Will do, perhaps they have some neat little experimenters and such.
            My Stk500 is getting one heck of a work out lately!

            Chris

            Message 5 of 22 , Apr 1, 2006
              On Sat, 01 Apr 2006 19:54:51 +0200, lcdpublishing
              <lcdpublishing@...> wrote:

              > My concern is with the home-made PCBs and the durability of the
              >
              > copper that would go into the sockets. So much of my stuff is all
              >
              > trial and error (because I don't know much - yet), that I would
              >
              > worry I would wear the copper off the PCB.
              >

              > Chris

              You'd really need to plate those anyway...

              Message 6 of 22 , Apr 1, 2006
                On Saturday 01 April 2006 12:49 pm, Stefan Trethan wrote:
                > On Sat, 01 Apr 2006 19:33:07 +0200, Roy J. Tellason
                > <rtellason@...> wrote:
                > > I know that card-edge connectors used to be used a whole lot more than
                > > they seem to be now -- like for floppy drivers, ferinstance, when 5.25"
                > > drives were the common thing. And that they've moved to pin-type
                > > connectors instead. This has to tell us something, perhaps about
                > > reliability?
                >
                > Perhaps also about pin density i think not all of those came at 100mil
                > centers.

                Yes.

                > I wouldn't say they are by design unreliable, since all the "important"
                > features (plated contact areas and spring loaded contacts) can be there,
                > but it seems cleaning them quite often fixes a contact problem.

                I did that quite often as a part of the repair process. In the case of the
                Osborne 1 it sometimes also took building up solder on the board, because
                they chose for some reason to make a custom board to have on the drive and to
                run power through the ribbon cable, which created reliability problems.

                > They are also used a lot in all kinds of test equipment (e.g. tek scopes
                > with plugins). You can clean the female side by folding a piece of paper
                > over a piece of PCB and wetting it with alcohol before inserting it several
                > times. I wouldn't prefer to use them for anything, esp. since it would
                > require me to set up for plating the female side, which i don't want to do,
                > or i would need to buy the female connectors, which eliminated the price
                > advantage.

                Agreed.

                ablest -- form of life in this section of space, a critter that can
                be killed but can't be tamed. --Robert A. Heinlein, "The Puppet Masters"
                -
                M Dakin
              • Bill Maxwell
                Message 7 of 22 , Apr 1, 2006
                  They actually ship from Thailand, although the contact point is in Sydney.
                  I've used them several times over the years and have been very happy with
                  the service. One recent order was short-supplied, seemingly due to confusion
                  bewtween english and thai, but an e-mail to the company brought the missing
                  chips within a few days.

                  Bill