Re: [Electronics_101] Re: Need to know what something is called or recomendations...

  • Barry Savage
    Message 1 of 22 , Apr 1, 2006
      Chris, I don't know if this will help you in later design, but I think I
      recall the old S-100 bus system used a backplane with many sockets and
      the boards plugged into it similar to the way cards plug into computers
      these days. So, in any given module, you could design the PCB with
      "teeth" that fit into the sockets on the backplane. Just a thought.
      Long ago, I remember Jerry Pernouli bemoaning the demise of the S-100.
      Roy, chime in here, I'll bet you know a lot about the S-100.

      Barry

      Message 2 of 22 , Apr 1, 2006
        On Saturday 01 April 2006 08:08 am, Barry Savage wrote:
        > Chris, I don't know if this will help you in later design, but I think I
        > recall the old S-100 bus system used a backplane with many sockets and
        > the boards plugged into it similar to the way cards plug into computers
        > these days. So, in any given module, you could design the PCB with
        > "teeth" that fit into the sockets on the backplane. Just a thought.
        > Long ago, I remember Jerry Pernouli bemoaning the demise of the S-100.
        > Roy, chime in here, I'll bet you know a lot about the S-100.
        >
        > Barry

        I know that card-edge connectors used to be used a whole lot more than they
        seem to be now -- like for floppy drivers, ferinstance, when 5.25" drives
        were the common thing. And that they've moved to pin-type connectors
        instead. This has to tell us something, perhaps about reliability?

        > lcdpublishing wrote:
        > > Thanks guys!
        > >
        > > Yes, those at Digikey and the ones Robert showed are what I am looking
        > > for. That should do the trick for what I need to do. It seems as
        > > though I am having more and more needs to stack boards like this so I
        > > am going to have to get a variety of them.
        > >
        > > I can't believe i missed them - I have been through all my catalogs at
        > > least three times each and was never sure of what I needed or could
        > > find it.
        > >
        > > Thanks again!
        > >
        > > Chris
        >
        > Yahoo! Groups Links

        ablest -- form of life in this section of space, a critter that can
        be killed but can't be tamed. --Robert A. Heinlein, "The Puppet Masters"
        -
        M Dakin
        Message 3 of 22 , Apr 1, 2006
          On Sat, 01 Apr 2006 19:33:07 +0200, Roy J. Tellason
          <rtellason@...> wrote:

          > I know that card-edge connectors used to be used a whole lot more than
          > they
          >
          > seem to be now -- like for floppy drivers, ferinstance, when 5.25"
          > drives
          >
          > were the common thing. And that they've moved to pin-type connectors
          >
          > instead. This has to tell us something, perhaps about reliability?

          Perhaps also about pin density i think not all of those came at 100mil
          centers.

          I wouldn't say they are by design unreliable, since all the "important"
          features (plated contact areas and spring loaded contacts) can be there,
          but it seems cleaning them quite often fixes a contact problem. They are
          also used a lot in all kinds of test equipment (e.g. tek scopes with
          plugins). You can clean the female side by folding a piece of paper over a
          piece of PCB and wetting it with alcohol before inserting it several times.
          I wouldn't prefer to use them for anything, esp. since it would require me
          to set up for plating the female side, which i don't want to do, or i
          would need to buy the female connectors, which eliminated the price
          advantage.

          ST
        • lcdpublishing
          Message 4 of 22 , Apr 1, 2006
            My concern is with the home-made PCBs and the durability of the
            copper that would go into the sockets. So much of my stuff is all
            trial and error (because I don't know much - yet), that I would
            worry I would wear the copper off the PCB.

            Chris

            --- In Electronics_101@yahoogroups.com, "Stefan Trethan"
            <stefan_trethan@...> wrote:

            > On Sat, 01 Apr 2006 19:33:07 +0200, Roy J. Tellason
            > <rtellason@...> wrote:
            >

            > > I know that card-edge connectors used to be used a whole lot
            more than
            > > they
            > >
            > > seem to be now -- like for floppy drivers, ferinstance, when
            5.25"
            > > drives
            > >
            > > were the common thing. And that they've moved to pin-type
            connectors

            > > instead. This has to tell us something, perhaps about
            reliability?

            > Perhaps also about pin density i think not all of those came at
            100mil
            > centers.
            >
            > I wouldn't say they are by design unreliable, since all
            the "important"
            > features (plated contact areas and spring loaded contacts) can be
            there,
            > but it seems cleaning them quite often fixes a contact problem.
            They are
            > also used a lot in all kinds of test equipment (e.g. tek scopes
            with
            > plugins). You can clean the female side by folding a piece of
            paper over a
            > piece of PCB and wetting it with alcohol before inserting it
            several times.
            > I wouldn't prefer to use them for anything, esp. since it would
            require me
            > to set up for plating the female side, which i don't want to do,
            or i
            > would need to buy the female connectors, which eliminated the
            price
            > advantage.
            >
            > ST

          • lcdpublishing
            Message 5 of 22 , Apr 1, 2006
              Will do, perhaps they have some neat little experimenters and such.
              My Stk500 is getting one heck of a work out lately!

              Chris

              Message 6 of 22 , Apr 1, 2006
                On Sat, 01 Apr 2006 19:54:51 +0200, lcdpublishing
                <lcdpublishing@...> wrote:

                > My concern is with the home-made PCBs and the durability of the
                >
                > copper that would go into the sockets. So much of my stuff is all
                >
                > trial and error (because I don't know much - yet), that I would
                >
                > worry I would wear the copper off the PCB.
                >

                > Chris

                You'd really need to plate those anyway...

                Message 7 of 22 , Apr 1, 2006
                  On Saturday 01 April 2006 12:49 pm, Stefan Trethan wrote:
                  > On Sat, 01 Apr 2006 19:33:07 +0200, Roy J. Tellason
                  > <rtellason@...> wrote:
                  > > I know that card-edge connectors used to be used a whole lot more than
                  > > they seem to be now -- like for floppy drivers, ferinstance, when 5.25"
                  > > drives were the common thing. And that they've moved to pin-type
                  > > connectors instead. This has to tell us something, perhaps about
                  > > reliability?
                  >
                  > Perhaps also about pin density i think not all of those came at 100mil
                  > centers.

                  Yes.

                  > I wouldn't say they are by design unreliable, since all the "important"
                  > features (plated contact areas and spring loaded contacts) can be there,
                  > but it seems cleaning them quite often fixes a contact problem.

                  I did that quite often as a part of the repair process. In the case of the
                  Osborne 1 it sometimes also took building up solder on the board, because
                  they chose for some reason to make a custom board to have on the drive and to
                  run power through the ribbon cable, which created reliability problems.

                  > They are also used a lot in all kinds of test equipment (e.g. tek scopes
                  > with plugins). You can clean the female side by folding a piece of paper
                  > over a piece of PCB and wetting it with alcohol before inserting it several
                  > times. I wouldn't prefer to use them for anything, esp. since it would
                  > require me to set up for plating the female side, which i don't want to do,
                  > or i would need to buy the female connectors, which eliminated the price
                  > advantage.

                  Agreed.

                  ablest -- form of life in this section of space, a critter that can
                  be killed but can't be tamed. --Robert A. Heinlein, "The Puppet Masters"
                  -
                  M Dakin
                • Bill Maxwell
                  Message 8 of 22 , Apr 1, 2006
                    They actually ship from Thailand, although the contact point is in Sydney.
                    I've used them several times over the years and have been very happy with
                    the service. One recent order was short-supplied, seemingly due to confusion
                    bewtween english and thai, but an e-mail to the company brought the missing
                    chips within a few days.

                    Bill