Re: [Electronics_101] Re: Need to know what something is called or recomendations...

    Message 1 of 22 , Apr 1, 2006
      On Sat, 01 Apr 2006 05:40:49 +0200, Robert Hedan
      <robert.hedan@...> wrote:

      > Hmmm, I forgot about those.
      >

      > I'm going to stop by the local computer store. They always end up with
      > tons
      >
      > of extra flat cables. I'll tell the guy to fill up a box and I'll buy
      > the
      >
      > crew pizza & beer.
      >

      > Robert

      The connectors are really cheap, if you need other sizes than the ones in
      computers you can get them and still use PC cables to make up your custom
      connections. The old SCSI cables are great, like 50 or 60 pins wide.
      Ideally get the version with the second stress relief bar over the top,
      the simple ones tend to break easily (unless you use one of the headers
      with ejection levers that is...).

      If you make connections maybe 1" long you can still stack the boards and
      "fold it out" for troubleshooting, which can be really difficult with
      sandwiched boards and extenders sometimes change operation. I also used
      them for connecting several modules laid out flat on a larger base, worked
      well there too.

      But be careful, those cables are not very reliable. If there's any problem
      always check them for continuity and shorts.

      ST
    • lcdpublishing
      Message 2 of 22 , Apr 1, 2006
        Digikey doesn't seem to stock those things (at least the few P/Ns I
        searched on)

        I did find them at Jameco...

        https://www.jameco.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?
        langId=-1&storeId=10001&catalogId=10001&pa=105056CB&productId=105056

        16 pin double row -$1.09
        20 pin double row -$1.09
        30 pin double row -$1.09
        40 pin double row -$1.29

        Chris
      • lcdpublishing
        Message 3 of 22 , Apr 1, 2006
          WOW, those are much cheaper there than even at Jameco. I think I
          will order from them - I don't need them right away so the extra
          shipping time isn't bad. Well, in reality when I order from Jameco,
          it usually takes a week for me to get the stuff anyway, so this
          would end up being about the same ship time.

          Very cool, thanks for the lead!

          Chris

          --- In Electronics_101@yahoogroups.com, "Randy Ledyard"
          <rll_groups@...> wrote:

          > Chris
          >
          > Before you plunk your money down at Digikey, check these guys out
          > http://www.futurlec.com/ConnHead.shtml
          >
          > They ship from Australia, so it's 7-10 days to get your shipment,
          but if you
          > don't mind the wait, the prices are a lot better.
          >
          > Also, you might want to look at the IDC connectors.
          > http://www.futurlec.com/ConnIDC.shtml
          >
          > Based on the calculations I did, if you can get your cables for
          free (old
          > HDD and FDD cables), the IDC conns were the cheapest point to point
          > connectors, esp in the 8-12 conductor range. Plus you have the
          added
          > flexibility in connection that a hard connector won't tolerate,
          and they are
          > polarized, to prevent hookup goofs. You can crimp them with an
          ordinary
          > bench vise.
          >
          > Randy

        • Dave Mucha
          Message 4 of 22 , Apr 1, 2006
            --- In Electronics_101@yahoogroups.com, Robert Hedan
            <robert.hedan@...> wrote:

            > Do you mean this?
            > http://www.4uconnector.com/online/object/photo/0118.jpg
            >
            > So that you can pin these?
            > http://www.4uconnector.com/online/object/photo/0126.jpg
            >
            > Robert
            > :)

            I need something similar, single row, but pass-thru.

            I have pulled them from old machines, but cannot find them in the
            catalogues.

            I have found some double row, SMT ones, but the one I would really
            like is a double row, thru-hole. And less than 5mm high.

            Hard drives have them on the board on the drive itself.

            Any ideas for sources ?

            Dave
          • Dave Mucha
            Message 5 of 22 , Apr 1, 2006
              --- In Electronics_101@yahoogroups.com, "lcdpublishing"
              <lcdpublishing@...> wrote:

              > WOW, those are much cheaper there than even at Jameco. I think I
              > will order from them - I don't need them right away so the extra
              > shipping time isn't bad. Well, in reality when I order from Jameco,
              > it usually takes a week for me to get the stuff anyway, so this
              > would end up being about the same ship time.
              >
              > Very cool, thanks for the lead!
              >
              > Chris

              I'm surprized no one mentioned the MTA connectors.

              They are easier to make and have the ability to be reused.

              And Chris, check out their boards section. you can get a pretty well
              populated board for your favorite AVR for darn little $$.

              Dave
            • Barry Savage
              Message 6 of 22 , Apr 1, 2006
                Chris, I don't know if this will help you in later design, but I think I
                recall the old S-100 bus system used a backplane with many sockets and
                the boards plugged into it similar to the way cards plug into computers
                these days. So, in any given module, you could design the PCB with
                "teeth" that fit into the sockets on the backplane. Just a thought.
                Long ago, I remember Jerry Pernouli bemoaning the demise of the S-100.
                Roy, chime in here, I'll bet you know a lot about the S-100.

                Barry

                Message 7 of 22 , Apr 1, 2006
                  On Saturday 01 April 2006 08:08 am, Barry Savage wrote:
                  > Chris, I don't know if this will help you in later design, but I think I
                  > recall the old S-100 bus system used a backplane with many sockets and
                  > the boards plugged into it similar to the way cards plug into computers
                  > these days. So, in any given module, you could design the PCB with
                  > "teeth" that fit into the sockets on the backplane. Just a thought.
                  > Long ago, I remember Jerry Pernouli bemoaning the demise of the S-100.
                  > Roy, chime in here, I'll bet you know a lot about the S-100.
                  >
                  > Barry

                  I know that card-edge connectors used to be used a whole lot more than they
                  seem to be now -- like for floppy drivers, ferinstance, when 5.25" drives
                  were the common thing. And that they've moved to pin-type connectors
                  instead. This has to tell us something, perhaps about reliability?

                  > lcdpublishing wrote:
                  > > Thanks guys!
                  > >
                  > > Yes, those at Digikey and the ones Robert showed are what I am looking
                  > > for. That should do the trick for what I need to do. It seems as
                  > > though I am having more and more needs to stack boards like this so I
                  > > am going to have to get a variety of them.
                  > >
                  > > I can't believe i missed them - I have been through all my catalogs at
                  > > least three times each and was never sure of what I needed or could
                  > > find it.
                  > >
                  > > Thanks again!
                  > >
                  > > Chris
                  >
                  > Yahoo! Groups Links

                  ablest -- form of life in this section of space, a critter that can
                  be killed but can't be tamed. --Robert A. Heinlein, "The Puppet Masters"
                  -
                  M Dakin
                  Message 8 of 22 , Apr 1, 2006
                    On Sat, 01 Apr 2006 19:33:07 +0200, Roy J. Tellason
                    <rtellason@...> wrote:

                    > I know that card-edge connectors used to be used a whole lot more than
                    > they
                    >
                    > seem to be now -- like for floppy drivers, ferinstance, when 5.25"
                    > drives
                    >
                    > were the common thing. And that they've moved to pin-type connectors
                    >
                    > instead. This has to tell us something, perhaps about reliability?

                    Perhaps also about pin density i think not all of those came at 100mil
                    centers.

                    I wouldn't say they are by design unreliable, since all the "important"
                    features (plated contact areas and spring loaded contacts) can be there,
                    but it seems cleaning them quite often fixes a contact problem. They are
                    also used a lot in all kinds of test equipment (e.g. tek scopes with
                    plugins). You can clean the female side by folding a piece of paper over a
                    piece of PCB and wetting it with alcohol before inserting it several times.
                    I wouldn't prefer to use them for anything, esp. since it would require me
                    to set up for plating the female side, which i don't want to do, or i
                    would need to buy the female connectors, which eliminated the price
                    advantage.

                    ST
                  • lcdpublishing
                    Message 9 of 22 , Apr 1, 2006
                      My concern is with the home-made PCBs and the durability of the
                      copper that would go into the sockets. So much of my stuff is all
                      trial and error (because I don't know much - yet), that I would
                      worry I would wear the copper off the PCB.

                      Chris

                      --- In Electronics_101@yahoogroups.com, "Stefan Trethan"
                      <stefan_trethan@...> wrote:

                      > On Sat, 01 Apr 2006 19:33:07 +0200, Roy J. Tellason
                      > <rtellason@...> wrote:
                      >

                      > > I know that card-edge connectors used to be used a whole lot
                      more than
                      > > they
                      > >
                      > > seem to be now -- like for floppy drivers, ferinstance, when
                      5.25"
                      > > drives
                      > >
                      > > were the common thing. And that they've moved to pin-type
                      connectors

                      > > instead. This has to tell us something, perhaps about
                      reliability?

                      > Perhaps also about pin density i think not all of those came at
                      100mil
                      > centers.
                      >
                      > I wouldn't say they are by design unreliable, since all
                      the "important"
                      > features (plated contact areas and spring loaded contacts) can be
                      there,
                      > but it seems cleaning them quite often fixes a contact problem.
                      They are
                      > also used a lot in all kinds of test equipment (e.g. tek scopes
                      with
                      > plugins). You can clean the female side by folding a piece of
                      paper over a
                      > piece of PCB and wetting it with alcohol before inserting it
                      several times.
                      > I wouldn't prefer to use them for anything, esp. since it would
                      require me
                      > to set up for plating the female side, which i don't want to do,
                      or i
                      > would need to buy the female connectors, which eliminated the
                      price
                      > advantage.
                      >
                      > ST

                    • lcdpublishing
                      Message 10 of 22 , Apr 1, 2006
                        Will do, perhaps they have some neat little experimenters and such.
                        My Stk500 is getting one heck of a work out lately!

                        Chris

                        Message 11 of 22 , Apr 1, 2006
                          On Sat, 01 Apr 2006 19:54:51 +0200, lcdpublishing
                          <lcdpublishing@...> wrote:

                          > My concern is with the home-made PCBs and the durability of the
                          >
                          > copper that would go into the sockets. So much of my stuff is all
                          >
                          > trial and error (because I don't know much - yet), that I would
                          >
                          > worry I would wear the copper off the PCB.
                          >

                          > Chris

                          You'd really need to plate those anyway...

                          Message 12 of 22 , Apr 1, 2006
                            On Saturday 01 April 2006 12:49 pm, Stefan Trethan wrote:
                            > On Sat, 01 Apr 2006 19:33:07 +0200, Roy J. Tellason
                            > <rtellason@...> wrote:
                            > > I know that card-edge connectors used to be used a whole lot more than
                            > > they seem to be now -- like for floppy drivers, ferinstance, when 5.25"
                            > > drives were the common thing. And that they've moved to pin-type
                            > > connectors instead. This has to tell us something, perhaps about
                            > > reliability?
                            >
                            > Perhaps also about pin density i think not all of those came at 100mil
                            > centers.

                            Yes.

                            > I wouldn't say they are by design unreliable, since all the "important"
                            > features (plated contact areas and spring loaded contacts) can be there,
                            > but it seems cleaning them quite often fixes a contact problem.

                            I did that quite often as a part of the repair process. In the case of the
                            Osborne 1 it sometimes also took building up solder on the board, because
                            they chose for some reason to make a custom board to have on the drive and to
                            run power through the ribbon cable, which created reliability problems.

                            > They are also used a lot in all kinds of test equipment (e.g. tek scopes
                            > with plugins). You can clean the female side by folding a piece of paper
                            > over a piece of PCB and wetting it with alcohol before inserting it several
                            > times. I wouldn't prefer to use them for anything, esp. since it would
                            > require me to set up for plating the female side, which i don't want to do,
                            > or i would need to buy the female connectors, which eliminated the price
                            > advantage.

                            Agreed.

                            ablest -- form of life in this section of space, a critter that can
                            be killed but can't be tamed. --Robert A. Heinlein, "The Puppet Masters"
                            -
                            M Dakin
                          • Bill Maxwell
                            Message 13 of 22 , Apr 1, 2006
                              They actually ship from Thailand, although the contact point is in Sydney.
                              I've used them several times over the years and have been very happy with
                              the service. One recent order was short-supplied, seemingly due to confusion
                              bewtween english and thai, but an e-mail to the company brought the missing
                              chips within a few days.

                              Bill