RE: [Electronics_101] Re: RE : Cheap ($10) Power Supply

  • James M. (Jim) Geidl
    Message 1 of 20 , Mar 31, 2006
      Funny you would comment on Dell.  I talked to one of the sales guys over there to order a box for a client.  He went through the whole rebate dance and I told him, I would order it but he had to take the amount of the price RIGHT NOW and not charge me tax on it either.  He did it.  They're hungry.

      Jim

      James M. (Jim) Geidl
      www.spinochio.com
      1732 Whitman Road
      Concord, CA  94518
      925 969-1367

      The information in this email may be confidential, privileged, and protected from disclosure. This email is intended to be reviewed by only the individual or organization named above. If you are not the intended recipient or an authorized representative of the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any review, dissemination or copying of this email and its attachments, if any, or the information contained herein is prohibited. If you have received this email in error, please immediately notify the sender by return email and delete this email from your system. Thank You

      Message 2 of 20 , Apr 3 1:28 PM
        --- Robert Hedan <robert.hedan@...> wrote:

        > I've been waiting for a $50 rebate from Staples for nearly 6 months
        now.

        > Robert
        > :/

        Staples has an on-line site that is something like:
        http://whereismyrebate.com/

        They are actually one of the better ones, where you can actually track
        the progress of the rebate.
      • Robert Hedan
        Message 3 of 20 , Apr 3 2:33 PM
          Yup, and it just sits there 'being processed'.

          Robert
          :(

          Message 4 of 20 , Apr 3 2:53 PM
            --- "Steve" <polymorph@...> wrote:

            >I've been waiting -years- for rebates from Iomega. Let's see: I think
            >it was 4 Zip drives at $50 each, and a Jaz drive with a $100 rebate.
            >Never seen a nickel of it.
            >
            >I'd rather pay $20 without a rebate than $10 -after- rebate.
            >
            >Steve Greenfield

            I have a system for these things. I create a folder for each rebate. I
            make a copy of everything and put it into that folder. Then, mail off
            the rebate as I am suppossed to. On the tab of the folder, I write 3
            dates: the date I sent it, a date 2 weeks BEFORE I am to expect the
            rebate, and the date in the middle of the rebate range (if it says 4
            to 6 weeks, I choose 5 weeks out).

            Then, when the second date comes around, I look to find out how I
            track the rebate (they all have a way to do that now). Then, if I do
            not like what I see, I call the number listed and talk to someone.

            Companies expect that people will not follow ALL the directions.
            Sometimes they want to withhold your rebate b/c you did not circle the
            charge on the receipt. But, since I keep a copy of everything, it is
            easy to prove that I DID. Just telling the person on the other end of
            the line that has always worked for me.

            So far, I have a perfect record for these things.

            I agree, though. It is a scam. Companies KNOW that a certain % of
            people will not complete everything properly. I heard a statistic last
            year that said 30-40% of the people will not even send in the rebate.
            Companies factor that into their pricing model to come up with the
            (sometimes hard to believe) rediculously low prices.

            Bob H.
          • James M. (Jim) Geidl
            Message 5 of 20 , Apr 3 4:35 PM
              Here's the rebate logic.

              The setup.  We'll say that---

              the manufacturer, we'll call them Gotta-make-the-board-happy, Inc.:
                  a wiget sells at wholesale for 100.00
                  wants to increase sales so decided to offer 10.00 off on widgets
                  sells 10 widgets @ 90.00 each
                  equals gross sales of 900.00
                  normally would have gross sales of 1000.00
                  discount expense equals 100.00
                  gross profit = 900.00

              the retailer, we'll call them I'm-gonna-screw-you-computers , Inc.:
                  has a 100% markup (or 50% depending on how you describe it)
                  sales tax (VAT or whatever) is 5%
                  buys the widget for 90.00 and sells them for 180.00 + tax
                  sells 10 widgets @ 180.00 + 9.00 tax
                  equal gross sales of 1890.00 + tax
                  normally would have gross sales of 2000.00  + 10.00 tax or 2100.00

              the taxing jurisdiction, we'll call them Only-your-best-interest-at-heart-government:
                  sees the 9.00 in tax instead 10.00

              the consumer, we'll call him I'm-gonna-take-it-in-the-shorts-no-matter-what,
                  has saved 10.00 + .50 tax = 10.50

              rebates are redeemed at a rate, on average, of 38%, we'll call it 50% 'cause it's easier math and I'm lazy.

              the manufacture:
                  sells every single widget for 100.00
                  sells 10 widgets at 100.00
                  his above the line profits are as if no sale price was ever offered
                  gross sales (sales above the line) equals 1000.00
                  discount expense = 50.00 (10 units at 10.00 discount times 50% actual rebates redeemed)
                  gross profit = 950.00
                  gross sales reported to the Board and the world are better than last year, all other things being the same, because he has sold more widgets
                  net profits are better than having offered a sale price
                  executive officers get their bonuses
                  stockholders are in the dark, which is generally the case anyhow
                  net profits don't look as good but that's because of, "... the damn labor situation."
                  got to get rid of some of the damn employees, they're causing all the problems.

              the retailer:
                  sells every widget at full price plus tax
                  retailers gross and net look perfect cause they just sold more widgets at full price plus tax
              gross profit = 1000.00

              the taxing jurisdiction:
                  loves it cause they get full sales tax which they wouldn't have gotten if the units had been sold at a lower price
                  this is also why the government, in general, is not too aggressive about stopping the rebate problems

              the consumer:
                  IF, A BIG IF, he follows through, gets a widget for a lower price, but, not the full price less the rebate because he has to pay taxes on the full selling price plus materials and postage to submit rebate.
                  10.00 rebate - .50 sales tax paid - postage & envelope, etc. .50 = note rebate of 9.00 - that's better than a poke in th eeye with a sharp stick but still not exactly what was eexpected.

              There really is no incentive for the manufacturers or retailers for not paying the rebates but they do want to delay that payment as long as possible because they also make money on your money before they have to send it to you.   I know it looks like mouse-nuts when you talk about 10.00 times 10 units but think about it differently.  Take a HDD that they discount 10.00 and sell 30,000 of then in a quarter.  That is 300,000.00 on which they can earn interest for some number of weeks or months before thay have to give it back to you.  They could make more money on that than the amount they discounted less the number of rebates that aren't redeemed.  AND THEY STILL STIMULATE MORE SALES.  HINT: think about the dollar amounts involved when you start talking about rebates on cars!

              I am not defending manufactureres or retailers that just plain don't honor the rebates, they need to be in jail but it ain't gonna happen.

              There is another thing that has shown up lately been rebate pyramiding.   Manufacturer offers a bunch of rebates on things in the first quarter of the year.  They know they will have to pay out the rebates in the mid to later part of the second quarter which will depress net profits in the second quarter so they offer more rebates, sometimes amounting to every more loss, in the second quarter to offset the net loss percentage...and on and on.  This is the kind of creative accounting that ends up wiping out companies but the executive offers get the bonuses casue, technically, it's legal.

              Some retailers, such as Staples, has seen the value in doing everything they can to help the consumer recover his rebate, it's in their best interest as they have absolutely nothing to lose.  I understand that there is a movement afoot to force advertising the full retail price with an estimate of the net (less taxes, postage, etc.) rebate.  This would make it cleared when looking at ads.

              Jim

              PS.  Not quite sure what this has to do with Electronics_101. :-(

              waiting -years- for rebates from Iomega. Let's see: I think
              >it was 4 Zip
              drives at $50 each, and a Jaz drive with a $100 rebate.
              >Never seen a
              nickel of it.

              >I'd rather pay $20 without a rebate than $10
              -after- rebate.

              >Steve Greenfield

              I have a system for these things. I create a folder for each rebate. I
              make a copy of everything and put it into that folder. Then, mail off
              the rebate as I am suppossed to. On the tab of the folder, I write 3
              dates: the date I sent it, a date 2 weeks BEFORE I am to expect the
              rebate, and the date in the middle of the rebate range (if it says 4
              to 6 weeks, I choose 5 weeks out).

              Then, when the second date comes around, I look to find out how I
              track the rebate (they all have a way to do that now). Then, if I do
              not like what I see, I call the number listed and talk to someone.

              Companies expect that people will not follow ALL the directions.
              Sometimes they want to withhold your rebate b/c you did not circle the
              charge on the receipt. But, since I keep a copy of everything, it is
              easy to prove that I DID. Just telling the person on the other end of
              the line that has always worked for me.

              So far, I have a perfect record for these things.

              I agree, though. It is a scam. Companies KNOW that a certain % of
              people will not complete everything properly. I heard a statistic last
              year that said 30-40% of the people will not even send in the rebate.
              Companies factor that into their pricing model to come up with the
              (sometimes hard to believe) rediculously low prices.

              Bob H.

            • Dave Mucha
              Message 6 of 20 , Apr 3 6:23 PM
                So...

                is this a program for a PIC or AVR ?

                I don't recognize the code as being for any electronics.....

                Dave

                <huge snip of Off Topic stuff>