Need to know what something is called or recomendations...

  • lcdpublishing
    Message 1 of 22 , Mar 31, 2006
      Hi Guys,

      I will be making an operator panel for my mini-mill. It will have a
      variety of switches (tact, toggle, Pots, and rotary encoder, etc.).
      This will be all on a pretty small size project box - around 7" wide
      X 5" tall, I can get either a 1" thick or 2" thick box.

      I also want to enclose some of the logic circuitry in this thing
      which is essentially a 20 pin AVR and it's related items and a DB-9
      pin connector to allow for a cable to go back to the mother board.

      I am thinking I want to sandwich the two boards, one on top of the
      other. I suspect to do this, I would use those square header pins
      that I use now for those little shorting jumper things (Shunts ?).

      I have seen a wide variety of IDC cable ends that seem to plug onto
      these types of pins. However, I can't seem to find the "thing" that
      would be a female socket that would accept those square header pins.

      What is it I am looking for and if at all possible, if you have a
      link or Mouser, Digikey, Jameco part number that would be
      fantastic. I spent hours last night going through the catalogs but
      couldn't come up with a difinitive - "This is the thing I need!"

      Thanks again!

      Chris
    • Robert Hedan
      Message 2 of 22 , Mar 31, 2006
        Do you mean this?
        http://www.4uconnector.com/online/object/photo/0118.jpg

        So that you can pin these?
        http://www.4uconnector.com/online/object/photo/0126.jpg

        Robert
        :)

        Message 3 of 22 , Mar 31, 2006
          Chris,

          Are you looking for a 'thing' that solders into a board and provides
          the female connection for a matching set of pins on another board?
          Perhaps this 'thing' came in different heights to clear various
          components?

          If so, it is known as a stackable header by Samtec
          http://www.junun.org/MarkIII/datasheets/ESQ.pdf Unfortunately, there
          is no source for these parts. I have tried and tried to get them and
          the only thing I have gotten was ONE sample when I requested it.

          I buy the prototype board kit from www.junun.org and throw away
          everything except the header.

          I have exchanged email with Tim Rphaly (owner of Junun) about selling
          the headers individually but he has never done it.

          Maybe you will have better luck than I did.

          Richard

          --- In Electronics_101@yahoogroups.com, "lcdpublishing"
          <lcdpublishing@...> wrote:

          > Hi Guys,
          >
          > I will be making an operator panel for my mini-mill. It will have a
          > variety of switches (tact, toggle, Pots, and rotary encoder, etc.).
          > This will be all on a pretty small size project box - around 7" wide
          > X 5" tall, I can get either a 1" thick or 2" thick box.
          >
          > I also want to enclose some of the logic circuitry in this thing
          > which is essentially a 20 pin AVR and it's related items and a DB-9
          > pin connector to allow for a cable to go back to the mother board.
          >
          > I am thinking I want to sandwich the two boards, one on top of the
          > other. I suspect to do this, I would use those square header pins
          > that I use now for those little shorting jumper things (Shunts ?).
          >
          > I have seen a wide variety of IDC cable ends that seem to plug onto
          > these types of pins. However, I can't seem to find the "thing" that
          > would be a female socket that would accept those square header pins.
          >
          > What is it I am looking for and if at all possible, if you have a
          > link or Mouser, Digikey, Jameco part number that would be
          > fantastic. I spent hours last night going through the catalogs but
          > couldn't come up with a difinitive - "This is the thing I need!"
          >
          > Thanks again!
          >
          > Chris

        • Robert Hedan
          Message 4 of 22 , Mar 31, 2006
            If it is, page 154-156 of DigiKey catalog, Jan-Apr 2006.

            Search for Breakaway Header for the males, females are receptables on page
            156, not breakaway.

            Robert
            :)

            Message 5 of 22 , Mar 31, 2006
              Hello Chris

              Digikey may help you :

              SULLINS 0,1" Female header single or dual row, 2 to 36 contacts is perfect for you !!

              regards

              Jacques

              Message 6 of 22 , Mar 31, 2006
                Thanks guys!

                Yes, those at Digikey and the ones Robert showed are what I am looking
                for. That should do the trick for what I need to do. It seems as
                though I am having more and more needs to stack boards like this so I
                am going to have to get a variety of them.

                I can't believe i missed them - I have been through all my catalogs at
                least three times each and was never sure of what I needed or could
                find it.

                Thanks again!

                Chris
              • Ray Drouillard
                Message 7 of 22 , Mar 31, 2006
                  You may be able to get more help here:

                  DIY-CNC-subscribe@yahoogroups.com

                  --
                  Ray Drouillard
                  http://nerd-in-the-country.blogspot.com/

                  lcdpublishing wrote:

                  >Hi Guys,
                  >
                  >I will be making an operator panel for my mini-mill. It will have a
                  >variety of switches (tact, toggle, Pots, and rotary encoder, etc.).
                  >This will be all on a pretty small size project box - around 7" wide
                  >X 5" tall, I can get either a 1" thick or 2" thick box.
                  >
                  >I also want to enclose some of the logic circuitry in this thing
                  >which is essentially a 20 pin AVR and it's related items and a DB-9
                  >pin connector to allow for a cable to go back to the mother board.
                  >
                  >I am thinking I want to sandwich the two boards, one on top of the
                  >other. I suspect to do this, I would use those square header pins
                  >that I use now for those little shorting jumper things (Shunts ?).
                  >
                  >I have seen a wide variety of IDC cable ends that seem to plug onto
                  >these types of pins. However, I can't seem to find the "thing" that
                  >would be a female socket that would accept those square header pins.
                  >
                  >What is it I am looking for and if at all possible, if you have a
                  >link or Mouser, Digikey, Jameco part number that would be
                  >fantastic. I spent hours last night going through the catalogs but
                  >couldn't come up with a difinitive - "This is the thing I need!"
                  >
                  >Thanks again!
                  >
                  >Chris

                • Randy Ledyard
                  Message 8 of 22 , Mar 31, 2006
                    Chris

                    Before you plunk your money down at Digikey, check these guys out
                    http://www.futurlec.com/ConnHead.shtml

                    They ship from Australia, so it's 7-10 days to get your shipment, but if you
                    don't mind the wait, the prices are a lot better.

                    Also, you might want to look at the IDC connectors.
                    http://www.futurlec.com/ConnIDC.shtml

                    Based on the calculations I did, if you can get your cables for free (old
                    HDD and FDD cables), the IDC conns were the cheapest point to point
                    connectors, esp in the 8-12 conductor range. Plus you have the added
                    flexibility in connection that a hard connector won't tolerate, and they are
                    polarized, to prevent hookup goofs. You can crimp them with an ordinary
                    bench vise.

                    Randy

                  • Robert Hedan
                    Message 9 of 22 , Mar 31, 2006
                      Hmmm, I forgot about those.

                      I'm going to stop by the local computer store. They always end up with tons
                      of extra flat cables. I'll tell the guy to fill up a box and I'll buy the
                      crew pizza & beer.

                      Robert
                      :)

                      Message 10 of 22 , Apr 1, 2006
                        On Sat, 01 Apr 2006 05:40:49 +0200, Robert Hedan
                        <robert.hedan@...> wrote:

                        > Hmmm, I forgot about those.
                        >

                        > I'm going to stop by the local computer store. They always end up with
                        > tons
                        >
                        > of extra flat cables. I'll tell the guy to fill up a box and I'll buy
                        > the
                        >
                        > crew pizza & beer.
                        >

                        > Robert

                        The connectors are really cheap, if you need other sizes than the ones in
                        computers you can get them and still use PC cables to make up your custom
                        connections. The old SCSI cables are great, like 50 or 60 pins wide.
                        Ideally get the version with the second stress relief bar over the top,
                        the simple ones tend to break easily (unless you use one of the headers
                        with ejection levers that is...).

                        If you make connections maybe 1" long you can still stack the boards and
                        "fold it out" for troubleshooting, which can be really difficult with
                        sandwiched boards and extenders sometimes change operation. I also used
                        them for connecting several modules laid out flat on a larger base, worked
                        well there too.

                        But be careful, those cables are not very reliable. If there's any problem
                        always check them for continuity and shorts.

                        ST
                      • lcdpublishing
                        Message 11 of 22 , Apr 1, 2006
                          Digikey doesn't seem to stock those things (at least the few P/Ns I
                          searched on)

                          I did find them at Jameco...

                          https://www.jameco.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?
                          langId=-1&storeId=10001&catalogId=10001&pa=105056CB&productId=105056

                          16 pin double row -$1.09
                          20 pin double row -$1.09
                          30 pin double row -$1.09
                          40 pin double row -$1.29

                          Chris
                        • lcdpublishing
                          Message 12 of 22 , Apr 1, 2006
                            WOW, those are much cheaper there than even at Jameco. I think I
                            will order from them - I don't need them right away so the extra
                            shipping time isn't bad. Well, in reality when I order from Jameco,
                            it usually takes a week for me to get the stuff anyway, so this
                            would end up being about the same ship time.

                            Very cool, thanks for the lead!

                            Chris

                            --- In Electronics_101@yahoogroups.com, "Randy Ledyard"
                            <rll_groups@...> wrote:

                            > Chris
                            >
                            > Before you plunk your money down at Digikey, check these guys out
                            > http://www.futurlec.com/ConnHead.shtml
                            >
                            > They ship from Australia, so it's 7-10 days to get your shipment,
                            but if you
                            > don't mind the wait, the prices are a lot better.
                            >
                            > Also, you might want to look at the IDC connectors.
                            > http://www.futurlec.com/ConnIDC.shtml
                            >
                            > Based on the calculations I did, if you can get your cables for
                            free (old
                            > HDD and FDD cables), the IDC conns were the cheapest point to point
                            > connectors, esp in the 8-12 conductor range. Plus you have the
                            added
                            > flexibility in connection that a hard connector won't tolerate,
                            and they are
                            > polarized, to prevent hookup goofs. You can crimp them with an
                            ordinary
                            > bench vise.
                            >
                            > Randy

                          • Dave Mucha
                            Message 13 of 22 , Apr 1, 2006
                              --- In Electronics_101@yahoogroups.com, Robert Hedan
                              <robert.hedan@...> wrote:

                              > Do you mean this?
                              > http://www.4uconnector.com/online/object/photo/0118.jpg
                              >
                              > So that you can pin these?
                              > http://www.4uconnector.com/online/object/photo/0126.jpg
                              >
                              > Robert
                              > :)

                              I need something similar, single row, but pass-thru.

                              I have pulled them from old machines, but cannot find them in the
                              catalogues.

                              I have found some double row, SMT ones, but the one I would really
                              like is a double row, thru-hole. And less than 5mm high.

                              Hard drives have them on the board on the drive itself.

                              Any ideas for sources ?

                              Dave
                            • Dave Mucha
                              Message 14 of 22 , Apr 1, 2006
                                <lcdpublishing@...> wrote:

                                > WOW, those are much cheaper there than even at Jameco. I think I
                                > will order from them - I don't need them right away so the extra
                                > shipping time isn't bad. Well, in reality when I order from Jameco,
                                > it usually takes a week for me to get the stuff anyway, so this
                                > would end up being about the same ship time.
                                >
                                > Very cool, thanks for the lead!
                                >
                                > Chris

                                I'm surprized no one mentioned the MTA connectors.

                                They are easier to make and have the ability to be reused.

                                And Chris, check out their boards section. you can get a pretty well
                                populated board for your favorite AVR for darn little $$.

                                Dave
                              • Barry Savage
                                Message 15 of 22 , Apr 1, 2006
                                  Chris, I don't know if this will help you in later design, but I think I
                                  recall the old S-100 bus system used a backplane with many sockets and
                                  the boards plugged into it similar to the way cards plug into computers
                                  these days. So, in any given module, you could design the PCB with
                                  "teeth" that fit into the sockets on the backplane. Just a thought.
                                  Long ago, I remember Jerry Pernouli bemoaning the demise of the S-100.
                                  Roy, chime in here, I'll bet you know a lot about the S-100.

                                  Barry

                                  Message 16 of 22 , Apr 1, 2006
                                    On Saturday 01 April 2006 08:08 am, Barry Savage wrote:
                                    > Chris, I don't know if this will help you in later design, but I think I
                                    > recall the old S-100 bus system used a backplane with many sockets and
                                    > the boards plugged into it similar to the way cards plug into computers
                                    > these days. So, in any given module, you could design the PCB with
                                    > "teeth" that fit into the sockets on the backplane. Just a thought.
                                    > Long ago, I remember Jerry Pernouli bemoaning the demise of the S-100.
                                    > Roy, chime in here, I'll bet you know a lot about the S-100.
                                    >
                                    > Barry

                                    I know that card-edge connectors used to be used a whole lot more than they
                                    seem to be now -- like for floppy drivers, ferinstance, when 5.25" drives
                                    were the common thing. And that they've moved to pin-type connectors
                                    instead. This has to tell us something, perhaps about reliability?

                                    > lcdpublishing wrote:
                                    > > Thanks guys!
                                    > >
                                    > > Yes, those at Digikey and the ones Robert showed are what I am looking
                                    > > for. That should do the trick for what I need to do. It seems as
                                    > > though I am having more and more needs to stack boards like this so I
                                    > > am going to have to get a variety of them.
                                    > >
                                    > > I can't believe i missed them - I have been through all my catalogs at
                                    > > least three times each and was never sure of what I needed or could
                                    > > find it.
                                    > >
                                    > > Thanks again!
                                    > >
                                    > > Chris
                                    >
                                    > Yahoo! Groups Links

                                    ablest -- form of life in this section of space, a critter that can
                                    be killed but can't be tamed. --Robert A. Heinlein, "The Puppet Masters"
                                    -
                                    M Dakin
                                    Message 17 of 22 , Apr 1, 2006
                                      On Sat, 01 Apr 2006 19:33:07 +0200, Roy J. Tellason
                                      <rtellason@...> wrote:

                                      > I know that card-edge connectors used to be used a whole lot more than
                                      > they
                                      >
                                      > seem to be now -- like for floppy drivers, ferinstance, when 5.25"
                                      > drives
                                      >
                                      > were the common thing. And that they've moved to pin-type connectors
                                      >
                                      > instead. This has to tell us something, perhaps about reliability?

                                      Perhaps also about pin density i think not all of those came at 100mil
                                      centers.

                                      I wouldn't say they are by design unreliable, since all the "important"
                                      features (plated contact areas and spring loaded contacts) can be there,
                                      but it seems cleaning them quite often fixes a contact problem. They are
                                      also used a lot in all kinds of test equipment (e.g. tek scopes with
                                      plugins). You can clean the female side by folding a piece of paper over a
                                      piece of PCB and wetting it with alcohol before inserting it several times.
                                      I wouldn't prefer to use them for anything, esp. since it would require me
                                      to set up for plating the female side, which i don't want to do, or i
                                      would need to buy the female connectors, which eliminated the price
                                      advantage.

                                      ST
                                    • lcdpublishing
                                      Message 18 of 22 , Apr 1, 2006
                                        My concern is with the home-made PCBs and the durability of the
                                        copper that would go into the sockets. So much of my stuff is all
                                        trial and error (because I don't know much - yet), that I would
                                        worry I would wear the copper off the PCB.

                                        Chris

                                        --- In Electronics_101@yahoogroups.com, "Stefan Trethan"
                                        <stefan_trethan@...> wrote:

                                        > On Sat, 01 Apr 2006 19:33:07 +0200, Roy J. Tellason
                                        > <rtellason@...> wrote:
                                        >

                                        > > I know that card-edge connectors used to be used a whole lot
                                        more than
                                        > > they
                                        > >
                                        > > seem to be now -- like for floppy drivers, ferinstance, when
                                        5.25"
                                        > > drives
                                        > >
                                        > > were the common thing. And that they've moved to pin-type
                                        connectors

                                        > > instead. This has to tell us something, perhaps about
                                        reliability?

                                        > Perhaps also about pin density i think not all of those came at
                                        100mil
                                        > centers.
                                        >
                                        > I wouldn't say they are by design unreliable, since all
                                        the "important"
                                        > features (plated contact areas and spring loaded contacts) can be
                                        there,
                                        > but it seems cleaning them quite often fixes a contact problem.
                                        They are
                                        > also used a lot in all kinds of test equipment (e.g. tek scopes
                                        with
                                        > plugins). You can clean the female side by folding a piece of
                                        paper over a
                                        > piece of PCB and wetting it with alcohol before inserting it
                                        several times.
                                        > I wouldn't prefer to use them for anything, esp. since it would
                                        require me
                                        > to set up for plating the female side, which i don't want to do,
                                        or i
                                        > would need to buy the female connectors, which eliminated the
                                        price
                                        > advantage.
                                        >
                                        > ST

                                      • lcdpublishing
                                        Message 19 of 22 , Apr 1, 2006
                                          Will do, perhaps they have some neat little experimenters and such.
                                          My Stk500 is getting one heck of a work out lately!

                                          Chris

                                          Message 20 of 22 , Apr 1, 2006
                                            On Sat, 01 Apr 2006 19:54:51 +0200, lcdpublishing
                                            <lcdpublishing@...> wrote:

                                            > My concern is with the home-made PCBs and the durability of the
                                            >
                                            > copper that would go into the sockets. So much of my stuff is all
                                            >
                                            > trial and error (because I don't know much - yet), that I would
                                            >
                                            > worry I would wear the copper off the PCB.
                                            >

                                            > Chris

                                            You'd really need to plate those anyway...

                                            Message 21 of 22 , Apr 1, 2006
                                              On Saturday 01 April 2006 12:49 pm, Stefan Trethan wrote:
                                              > On Sat, 01 Apr 2006 19:33:07 +0200, Roy J. Tellason
                                              > <rtellason@...> wrote:
                                              > > I know that card-edge connectors used to be used a whole lot more than
                                              > > they seem to be now -- like for floppy drivers, ferinstance, when 5.25"
                                              > > drives were the common thing. And that they've moved to pin-type
                                              > > connectors instead. This has to tell us something, perhaps about
                                              > > reliability?
                                              >
                                              > Perhaps also about pin density i think not all of those came at 100mil
                                              > centers.

                                              Yes.

                                              > I wouldn't say they are by design unreliable, since all the "important"
                                              > features (plated contact areas and spring loaded contacts) can be there,
                                              > but it seems cleaning them quite often fixes a contact problem.

                                              I did that quite often as a part of the repair process. In the case of the
                                              Osborne 1 it sometimes also took building up solder on the board, because
                                              they chose for some reason to make a custom board to have on the drive and to
                                              run power through the ribbon cable, which created reliability problems.

                                              > They are also used a lot in all kinds of test equipment (e.g. tek scopes
                                              > with plugins). You can clean the female side by folding a piece of paper
                                              > over a piece of PCB and wetting it with alcohol before inserting it several
                                              > times. I wouldn't prefer to use them for anything, esp. since it would
                                              > require me to set up for plating the female side, which i don't want to do,
                                              > or i would need to buy the female connectors, which eliminated the price
                                              > advantage.

                                              Agreed.

                                              ablest -- form of life in this section of space, a critter that can
                                              be killed but can't be tamed. --Robert A. Heinlein, "The Puppet Masters"
                                              -
                                              M Dakin
                                            • Bill Maxwell
                                              Message 22 of 22 , Apr 1, 2006
                                                They actually ship from Thailand, although the contact point is in Sydney.
                                                I've used them several times over the years and have been very happy with
                                                the service. One recent order was short-supplied, seemingly due to confusion
                                                bewtween english and thai, but an e-mail to the company brought the missing
                                                chips within a few days.

                                                Bill