Bench / test power supply questions...

  • lcdpublishing
    Message 1 of 20 , Mar 31, 2006
      Hi guys,

      I think I am getting to the point where I should be looking for a
      bench power supply. I am not sure what to look for or what brands
      to consider or how much to expect to spend. I am on the "poor man's
      budget" for this so I will have to find something used.

      What I think I need / want is something like this...

      Dual outputs - both variable voltage
      Each output would have an ammeter to monitor loads

      Beyond that, I have no idea what else to consider. I started a
      search on Ebay and quickly realized they are far more expensive and
      complicated than I had expected.

      As for digital or analog, I am guessing they are referring to the
      displays being either an analog needle type meter versus a digital
      read out. I would prefer an analog meter display, for some reason I
      am beginning to like them more than the digital readouts on some of
      my other stuff like my multi-meter.

      Chris
    • Peter Homann
      Message 2 of 20 , Mar 31, 2006
        Chris,

        One of the good aspects of an analog meter is that you can see rate of change
        information. A digital display doesn't show this information as clearly.

        Cheers,

        Peter

        lcdpublishing wrote:
        > Hi guys,
        >
        > I think I am getting to the point where I should be looking for a
        > bench power supply. I am not sure what to look for or what brands
        > to consider or how much to expect to spend. I am on the "poor man's
        > budget" for this so I will have to find something used.
        >
        > What I think I need / want is something like this...
        >
        > Dual outputs - both variable voltage
        > Each output would have an ammeter to monitor loads
        >
        > Beyond that, I have no idea what else to consider. I started a
        > search on Ebay and quickly realized they are far more expensive and
        > complicated than I had expected.
        >
        > As for digital or analog, I am guessing they are referring to the
        > displays being either an analog needle type meter versus a digital
        > read out. I would prefer an analog meter display, for some reason I
        > am beginning to like them more than the digital readouts on some of
        > my other stuff like my multi-meter.
        >
        > Chris
        >

        > Yahoo! Groups Links

        Web: www.homanndesigns.com
        email: homann@...
        Phone: +61 421 601 665
        www.homanndesigns.com/ModIO.html - Modbus Interface Unit
        www.homanndesigns.com/DigiSpeedDeal.html - DC Spindle control
        www.homanndesigns.com/TurboTaig.html - Taig Mill Upgrade board
      • Barry Savage
        Message 3 of 20 , Mar 31, 2006
          Chris, here are some power supplies at Ocean State Electronics that may
          suit your needs. Scroll back and forth to other pages to see other
          power supplies they carry.
          Barry

          http://www.oselectronics.com/ose_p15.htm

          lcdpublishing wrote:

          > Hi guys,
          >
          > I think I am getting to the point where I should be looking for a
          > bench power supply. I am not sure what to look for or what brands
          > to consider or how much to expect to spend. I am on the "poor man's
          > budget" for this so I will have to find something used.
          >
          > What I think I need / want is something like this...
          >
          > Dual outputs - both variable voltage
          > Each output would have an ammeter to monitor loads
          >
          > Beyond that, I have no idea what else to consider. I started a
          > search on Ebay and quickly realized they are far more expensive and
          > complicated than I had expected.
          >
          > As for digital or analog, I am guessing they are referring to the
          > displays being either an analog needle type meter versus a digital
          > read out. I would prefer an analog meter display, for some reason I
          > am beginning to like them more than the digital readouts on some of
          > my other stuff like my multi-meter.
          >
          > Chris

        • Bruce Carter
          Message 4 of 20 , Mar 31, 2006
            > I think I am getting to the point where I should be looking for a
            > bench power supply.

            Radio Electronics (or electronics world - whatever) had an article for
            an LM317 / LM337 based lab supply several years ago - early 90's. It
            was quite novel, because it used two in series - one to do the gross
            drop from the unregulated, then a second that was virtually idling to
            do the precision part. It was a triple output, with a low voltage more
            current and a dual split supply that could track or run independent. I
            made it, it has been a dependable and stable supply for many years -
            and I spent almost no money except for the meters.
          • lcdpublishing
            Message 5 of 20 , Mar 31, 2006
              Hmmm, that is interesting - those appear to be new and at about the
              same price range as what I am seeing on E-Bay. I like that!

              Chris

              --- In Electronics_101@yahoogroups.com, Barry Savage <sofistic@...>
              wrote:

              > Chris, here are some power supplies at Ocean State Electronics
              that may
              > suit your needs. Scroll back and forth to other pages to see
              other
              > power supplies they carry.
              > Barry
              >
              > http://www.oselectronics.com/ose_p15.htm
              >

              > lcdpublishing wrote:
              >
              > > Hi guys,
              > >
              > > I think I am getting to the point where I should be looking for a
              > > bench power supply. I am not sure what to look for or what
              brands
              > > to consider or how much to expect to spend. I am on the "poor
              man's
              > > budget" for this so I will have to find something used.
              > >
              > > What I think I need / want is something like this...
              > >
              > > Dual outputs - both variable voltage
              > > Each output would have an ammeter to monitor loads
              > >
              > > Beyond that, I have no idea what else to consider. I started a
              > > search on Ebay and quickly realized they are far more expensive
              and
              > > complicated than I had expected.
              > >
              > > As for digital or analog, I am guessing they are referring to the
              > > displays being either an analog needle type meter versus a
              digital
              > > read out. I would prefer an analog meter display, for some
              reason I
              > > am beginning to like them more than the digital readouts on some
              of
              > > my other stuff like my multi-meter.
              > >
              > > Chris

            • lcdpublishing
              Message 6 of 20 , Mar 31, 2006
                Unfortunately, I don't yet know enough to build one that I could
                trust :-(. If I can find that article though, I will give it a go
                if it is detailed enough for a dummy like me :-)

                Chris

                --- In Electronics_101@yahoogroups.com, "Bruce Carter"

                Message 7 of 20 , Mar 31, 2006
                  On Fri, 31 Mar 2006 16:08:14 +0200, Peter Homann
                  <groups@...> wrote:

                  > Chris,
                  >

                  > One of the good aspects of an analog meter is that you can see rate of
                  > change
                  >
                  > information. A digital display doesn't show this information as clearly.
                  >

                  > Cheers,
                  >

                  > Peter

                  Another advantage is that not only the analog movement is faster, you can
                  also read it much faster.
                  After a while you will know "about in the middle" is like 12V or
                  something. So even if you don't focus on it or don't think about it you
                  will register what it is showing you. With a digital meter you need to
                  read the number, and process it in your brain first.

                  That's why most cars still have analog speedometers or at least both, very
                  few were made with digital only display and it is not very practical.

                  The disadvantage is that usually analog meters are less accuate,
                  especially user mistakes when reading the meters are higher with them.

                  I find it surprising how strongly some of the analog meters in my
                  collection are dampened. Much too slow, they almost creep towards the
                  final value. I think that quite a bit of overshoot is acceptable to get a
                  reasonable speed. Strangely the cheaper meters seem to be better in that
                  aspect. I'm not sure why they dampened them so much, maybe it didn't work
                  out in a better way with the current sense resistors parallel to the
                  movement.

                  I've also had signals that would totally confuse my (relatively good)
                  DMMs. I tried to measure the current of a waveform with high spikes/pulses
                  and the meters just shut off. I don't know but somehow this frequency or
                  the pulses must have caused this. I didn't try other digital meters, since
                  the first analog one i tried worked without any trouble.

                  Anyway, i wouldn't know which to prefer for a supply really. You can
                  always connect external meters as needed.

                  ST
                • James M. (Jim) Geidl
                  Message 8 of 20 , Mar 31, 2006
                    I had never heard of these guys til now.  I have been chasing those Elenco supplies around on the Internet and I really like thee prices here!

                    Jim

                    James M. (Jim) Geidl
                    www.spinochio.com
                    1732 Whitman Road
                    Concord, CA  94518
                    925 969-1367

                    The information in this email may be confidential, privileged, and protected from disclosure. This email is intended to be reviewed by only the individual or organization named above. If you are not the intended recipient or an authorized representative of the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any review, dissemination or copying of this email and its attachments, if any, or the information contained herein is prohibited. If you have received this email in error, please immediately notify the sender by return email and delete this email from your system. Thank You

                    href="http://www.oselectronics.com/ose_p15.htm">http://www.oselectronics.com/ose_p15.htm

                    > lcdpublishing wrote:
                    >
                    > > Hi guys,
                    > >
                    > > I think I am getting to the point where I should be looking
                    for a
                    > > bench power supply.  I am not sure what to look for or
                    what
                    brands
                    > > to consider or how much to expect to spend.  I
                    am on the "poor
                    man's
                    > > budget" for this so I will have to find
                    something used.

                    > > What I think I need / want is
                    something like this...

                    > > Dual outputs - both variable
                    voltage
                    > > Each output would have an ammeter to monitor loads
                    > >
                    > > Beyond that, I have no idea what else to consider.  I
                    started a
                    > > search on Ebay and quickly realized they are far more
                    expensive
                    and
                    > > complicated than I had expected.
                    > >
                    > > As for digital or analog, I am guessing they are referring to
                    the
                    > > displays being either an analog needle type meter versus a
                    digital
                    > > read out.  I would prefer an analog meter display,
                    for some
                    reason I
                    > > am beginning to like them more than the
                    digital readouts on some
                    of
                    > > my other stuff like my
                    multi-meter.

                    Message 9 of 20 , Mar 31, 2006
                      On Fri, 31 Mar 2006 16:32:41 +0200, lcdpublishing
                      <lcdpublishing@...> wrote:

                      > Hmmm, that is interesting - those appear to be new and at about the
                      >
                      > same price range as what I am seeing on E-Bay. I like that!
                      >

                      > Chris

                      Looking through those, i notice more things i can suggest.

                      Not all seem to have adjustable current limit. This is very useful to
                      protect stuff you are just trying and also you can use it in constant
                      current mode to do things like testing LEDs and charging batteries. Also,
                      fixed outputs are very easy to make yourself so i would not look at that
                      for justifying much of a higher price.

                      ST
                    • lcdpublishing
                      Message 10 of 20 , Mar 31, 2006
                        Stefan,

                        Did you mean variable outputs or fixed outputs?

                        I would like to have variable outputs (I think), that way I can use
                        one power supply for a variety of experiements.

                        If the variable output is cheaper, that is right up my alley!

                        Chris

                        Also,
                        > fixed outputs are very easy to make yourself so i would not look
                        at that
                        > for justifying much of a higher price.
                        >
                        > ST

                      • Robert Hedan
                        Message 11 of 20 , Mar 31, 2006
                          Very nice stuff, much better than the old dinosaur I got on EBay.

                          I'll probably pick up the XP-605 next month. I like having variable voltage
                          and current. I also like the XP-581 'cause you can just plug the desired
                          voltage and not bother with any settings.

                          I can't help but wonder though, are these nothing more than dressed up PC
                          powers supplies? The +5, +12 and -12 voltages on the XP-581 look vaguely
                          familiar, and the prices are really low.

                          Robert
                          :)

                          Message 12 of 20 , Mar 31, 2006
                            On Fri, 31 Mar 2006 17:11:02 +0200, lcdpublishing
                            <lcdpublishing@...> wrote:

                            > Stefan,
                            >

                            > Did you mean variable outputs or fixed outputs?
                            >

                            > I would like to have variable outputs (I think), that way I can use
                            >
                            > one power supply for a variety of experiements.
                            >

                            > If the variable output is cheaper, that is right up my alley!
                            >

                            > Chris

                            I meant additional fixed outputs. Some come with variable output and a few
                            fixed outputs.
                            The fixed outputs are very easy to get from somewhere else, so they would
                            not decide a buy for me.
                            The reason to have one of these is for variable voltage.

                            Oh and i forgot one, many seem to start at 3V or so. You might like one
                            that does at least as low as 1.5V (single cell), ideally zero.

                            Message 13 of 20 , Mar 31, 2006
                              On Friday 31 March 2006 09:25 am, Bruce Carter wrote:
                              > > I think I am getting to the point where I should be looking for a
                              > > bench power supply.
                              >
                              > Radio Electronics (or electronics world - whatever) had an article for
                              > an LM317 / LM337 based lab supply several years ago - early 90's. It
                              > was quite novel, because it used two in series - one to do the gross
                              > drop from the unregulated, then a second that was virtually idling to
                              > do the precision part. It was a triple output, with a low voltage more
                              > current and a dual split supply that could track or run independent. I
                              > made it, it has been a dependable and stable supply for many years -
                              > and I spent almost no money except for the meters.

                              Is there a schematic for this online any place? I would be interested in
                              seeing that, particularly the bit about tracking/independent.

                              I've seen some stuff done with two of those regulators cascaded, one for
                              voltage regulation and the other one to current-limit, but havn't tried such
                              a setup yet.

                              ablest -- form of life in this section of space, a critter that can
                              be killed but can't be tamed. --Robert A. Heinlein, "The Puppet Masters"
                              -
                              M Dakin
                            • lcdpublishing
                              Message 14 of 20 , Apr 1, 2006
                                Roy, while thumbing through my recent aquisition of of Poptronics
                                magazines, I noticed a power supply similar to what Bruce wrote
                                about. This one uses the same chips, it dual output, but the really
                                strange part is the guy is using two lead-acid batteries to make the
                                power supply portable. I have no use for a battery powered power
                                supply, I would rather it be "with cord".

                                If I can get the scanner to cooperate this afternoon, I can scan and
                                email you that. Would that help you out?

                                Chris

                                --- In Electronics_101@yahoogroups.com, "Roy J. Tellason"

                                Message 15 of 20 , Apr 1, 2006
                                  On Saturday 01 April 2006 12:53 pm, lcdpublishing wrote:
                                  > Roy, while thumbing through my recent aquisition of of Poptronics
                                  > magazines, I noticed a power supply similar to what Bruce wrote
                                  > about. This one uses the same chips, it dual output, but the really
                                  > strange part is the guy is using two lead-acid batteries to make the
                                  > power supply portable. I have no use for a battery powered power
                                  > supply, I would rather it be "with cord".
                                  >
                                  > If I can get the scanner to cooperate this afternoon, I can scan and
                                  > email you that. Would that help you out?

                                  Heck, I'm always interested in looking at stuff like that... :-)

                                  Message 16 of 20 , Apr 1, 2006
                                    I will try and scan the article and email it to you. If you can
                                    figure out how to make it more functional, let me know as I would
                                    like to build a power supply if I can find one somewhere cheaper.

                                    Will your email that you use here work for me to send the PDFs?

                                    Message 17 of 20 , Apr 1, 2006
                                      On Saturday 01 April 2006 03:23 pm, lcdpublishing wrote:
                                      > I will try and scan the article and email it to you. If you can
                                      > figure out how to make it more functional, let me know as I would
                                      > like to build a power supply if I can find one somewhere cheaper.
                                      >
                                      > Will your email that you use here work for me to send the PDFs?

                                      Sure will.

                                      Message 18 of 20 , Apr 2, 2006
                                        Roy, My scanner and it's printer is on the fritz. I have a spare
                                        here and will get it hooked up later this week - sorry.

                                        <rtellason@...> wrote:

                                        > On Saturday 01 April 2006 03:23 pm, lcdpublishing wrote:
                                        > > I will try and scan the article and email it to you. If you can
                                        > > figure out how to make it more functional, let me know as I would
                                        > > like to build a power supply if I can find one somewhere cheaper.
                                        > >
                                        > > Will your email that you use here work for me to send the PDFs?
                                        >
                                        > Sure will.
                                        >
                                        > > --- In Electronics_101@yahoogroups.com, "Roy J. Tellason"
                                        > >
                                        > > <rtellason@> wrote:
                                        Poptronics

                                        > > really

                                        > > the

                                        > > and

                                        > > > Heck, I'm always interested in looking at stuff like
                                        that... :-)

                                        > > > --
                                        > > > Member of the toughest, meanest, deadliest, most unrelenting --
                                        and
                                        > > > ablest -- form of life in this section of space, a critter
                                        that

                                        > > can
                                        > >
                                        > > > be killed but can't be tamed. --Robert A. Heinlein, "The
                                        Puppet

                                        > > Masters"
                                        > >
                                        > > > -
                                        > > > Information is more dangerous than cannon to a society ruled by
                                        > >
                                        > > lies. --James
                                        > >
                                        > > > M Dakin
                                        > >
                                        > > Yahoo! Groups Links
                                        > >

                                        > --
                                        > Member of the toughest, meanest, deadliest, most unrelenting -- and
                                        > ablest -- form of life in this section of space, a critter that
                                        can
                                        > be killed but can't be tamed. --Robert A. Heinlein, "The Puppet
                                        Masters"
                                        > -
                                        > Information is more dangerous than cannon to a society ruled by
                                        lies. --James
                                        > M Dakin

                                      • Nelson Johnsrud
                                        Message 19 of 20 , Apr 2, 2006
                                          Chris, could I trouble you to copy me on this? I am also interested. I
                                          would appreciate it.

                                          Nels
                                          gop4evr@...

                                          Message 20 of 20 , Apr 2, 2006
                                            On Sunday 02 April 2006 12:35 pm, lcdpublishing wrote:
                                            > Roy, My scanner and it's printer is on the fritz. I have a spare
                                            > here and will get it hooked up later this week - sorry.
                                            >
                                            > Chris

                                            That's okay, no rush, I have plenty else to keep me busy here... :-)