Re: Motion Control Board - preliminary design finished - posted photo-image

  • lcdpublishing
    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 29, 2006
      One thing I know for certain, higher voltages allow for higher
      speeds with steppers. Not like an ordinary DC motor where the
      voltage controls the RPM though.

      Rather, like Stefan and Roy explained, with a higher voltage you can
      achieve higher step rates without the motor "spazing out".

      Chris

      --- In Electronics_101@yahoogroups.com, "Roy J. Tellason"
      <rtellason@...> wrote:

      > On Wednesday 29 March 2006 06:24 am, Medmidas Gmail wrote:
      > > Stepper motors speed can't be faster or slower when voltage is
      higher or
      > > lower. It depends only on step/pulsing frequency.
      >
      > This is incorrect. When you're pulsing as fast as you want to go
      in any given
      > situation, the voltage that's applied will change immediately but
      the
      > inductance of the motor windings will prevent the current from
      changing
      > immediately, and the use of higher voltages in this point (with
      appropriate
      > current limiting designed into the circuit) will give a faster-
      changing
      > current.
      >
      > This is why common situations use voltages as high as 20-25 times
      the rated
      > motor voltage -- for speed.

      Masters"